New project

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

now look what I have gone and done

:lol: :lol:

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

Cool project 8-)

What's the engine spec going to be ?

Cheers

Mark
302 V8 Sierra 5 door sleeper under way

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Mark
engine spec,
all forged bottom end 383 chevy with Marhl flat top pistons
Dry sump oil system
RHS 235 port 64cc chambered heads with 1/4" over length valves to take .7" lift
11.6 CR
comp cams 4/7 swap mechanical roller cam, 256 inlet 263 exhaust duration on 112 LSA giving .688" inlet lift, .660" exhaust.
isky tool room springs with rev kit, should let it rev to about 8400
sheet metal inlet manifold with 2X autonomics throttle bodies (many thanks Mark and Ian)
It will have mechanical methanol injection and megasquirt for sparks and engine logging.
2.03 first gear powerglide (standard case) with transbrake and 35 spline output shaft and a 3500 stall converter.
4.11 crown wheel spool with 33 spline shafts in an aftermarket case
Once that is running I will add a 6-71 blower, fit the glide guts into a TCI case and if I have the cash upgrade to a 4200 stall bolt together converter.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

11.6:1 and a Blower :shock:

Does running methanol allow this ?

Cheers

Mark
302 V8 Sierra 5 door sleeper under way

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Mark
yes methanol will allow alot more compression, I've been told you can run around 14.5-15.5:1 N/A with the cam I have, and with 11.5 and a blower I should be able to run about 24+ lb boost easily, I will start at about 18-20lb boost to be on the safe side.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

IainB
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by IainB »

You Sir.....are a freaking NUTTER :twisted:
Anyone who can sit there family jewels above a potential grenade needs to be certified :wink:
Cant wait to see it run....should be umm 'interesting' 8-)

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Iain
Happy new year to you :D
I think I shall take that as a compliment, especially from a chap who sits 1/2 an inch off the deck hanging onto two bits of string with a kite on the end whilst trying to steer the whole contraption with his feet! :lol: :lol: I am looking forward to "interesting times"
Hope you are well
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Well actually getting on with things, I now have a drilled engine plate mounted in the chassis, I have made a top for the inlet manifold to take the two throttle bodies, just need to get two 2" spacers to go under the throttle bodies and get a linkage and that will be pretty much done. I hope to get the powergilde next weekend which will let me temporerilly mount the engine and box so I can sort out where the cross tube and diagonals go in to support the rear of the 'box. I'm still trying to decide what steering box to use, VW beetle, VW campervan or another, I am keen on any surgestions here for any steering box that is reasonably light, easy to mount (the Beetle one is not that straight forward) and a sensible price.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I now have the engine plate shimmed square in the chassis, front engine mounts cut out, all aligned with the centre of the chassis and the pinion centre of the back axel, and the gearbox centre line, all checked with my laser spirit level. I picked up a pair of centrelines last weekend. Yesterday I took the axel case off to Andy Robinson to have all the guts fitted and the case cut to length.
The remaining chassis tubes are cut and notched ready to weld in, when I have mastered my Tig welder :nutz
Not come up with a decision on the steering box yet, still after any surgestions.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

I've got an old landy steering box you can have Mike :lol:

How about one of the tiny little steering racks they use in single seaters? Would be lighter and smaller than a box?
TC

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Tom
with a rack I would need to come up with some way to turn the motion through 90 degrees to operate the 12 foot long steering arm!, I am not contemplating having a 15 foot long steering column so I can mount a rack at the front of the car. . . good idea apart from that detail :lol: .
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Chaps
some pictures of progress, yes it may not look much for 6 months work, but you would not believe how many brackets I have welded on. It also seems everything I have to do needs designing first. I have also done the front axel brackets (Roy built the axel) and the steering box is now mounted.
I now have the mechanical fuel injection system, another gearbox, Coan racing one with a straight cut 1.8:1 first and a 5500k stall converter (er yes it is a very high stall :? ).
Anyway pictures
poppet valves rule!

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Not checked in for a while, but this is looking good Mike. Sure it will come together soon enough in the end. The motivation increases as fire up time appears on the horizon. Nice work so far, look forward to seeing it at the track.

Alan

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Thanks Al I am finding it quite a slog at the moment, I cannot believe how many brackets I am welding onto the thing. . .
I now have a mechanical injection set up, a powerglide and torque converter. I want to get the engine and box trial fitted soon, but I am still a way from that yet.
Thanks again
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

IainB
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by IainB »

Hi Mike,
How is this going?
Finished welding brackets yet :D

Return to “Your Garage Scene”