Post by CastleMGBV8 »

One of my senior moments :oops:

Kevin.

Richard P6
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Richard P6 »

CastleMGBV8 wrote:Richard,

The PCV system should have one valve cover with a filter, not to the carb filter and the other cover should have in this order a flame trap then pcv valve then connected to the centre port on the carb, the way you have it you will not get fresh air venting the crankcase and no effective pull through to the base of the carb.

Great car by the way, I'm quite nostalgic as I had a Mexico Brown with beige leather 3500S back in 1973 and absolutely loved it, all it needed was a better 5sp g/box and the engine modded for a bit more power and revability, I was even looking on e-bay last night but nothing nearly as nice as yours.

What sort of money for one similar condition to your car even with an original engine and box.

Kevin
Cheers Kevin

I have read a few different ways of plumbing these things in.

If you plumb the 'fresh air in' side to the air filter box, i.e. actually inside the filter, then the air being drawn into the crankcase has already been filtered.

Also, if you boot it now and again and this causes more pressure in the crankcase than the PCV port is pulling out i.e. you end up with a positive crankcase pressure even with the suction of the PCV system, then the fumes will go back up the inlet hose and blow out of it. If its just a small filter on the rocker cover, you get a messy engine, but if its insde the air box it will be drawn into the carb and into the combustion chamber.

There is a flame trap between the rockercover and the air box (inlet side) but not as yet on the PCV side, and I can't place the flame trap in the suction side as you suggest it
flame trap then pcv valve then connected to the centre port on the carb,
as the PCV valve is in the rocker cover. The only way it can be done is PCV valve, flame trap, then PCV port.

I am going to plumb it all in now, but can't run it up as the manifolds are at work ready to be sent to camcoat :?

Will keep you informed

Richard (Not Paul) :)

You can pick up some reasonable examples of the 3500 for around £1,000, but I paid £3,125 for mine with bills for £9,000 (£6,500 for just the engine).

Heres one - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1972-ROVER-P6-350 ... 2ea8adf814

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hey Richard
If we keep this up we can confuse the whole world.
Cheers
Bill not Ben :lol: :lol:

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Richard,

Looks like you got a good deal.

Ideally the flame trap should be connected to the rocker cover, large screw in type if you have the late covers, then a short piece of hose to the pcv valve then to the carb.

Do you know if the ZF4HP22 autobox will fit the P6?

Kevin.

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

Hello Richard,

How is everything going?

Your Rover is coming along very nicely,...gee and I like the Vitesse wheels too.. :D

All the best,
Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

CastleMGBV8 wrote,..
Do you know if the ZF4HP22 autobox will fit the P6?
Hello Kevin,

I hope that Richard does not mind if I answer the above question that you asked of him.

In order for the transmission to clear the tunnel, either some of the case ribbing must be ground away or parts of the actual tunnel cut away and then once the ZF is in place new panels shaped and fitted accordingly.

I hope you don't mind Richard.. :?

All the best,
Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

Richard P6
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Richard P6 »

Thanks Kevin.

I have the P6 rockers covers and the valve is one that fits into the cover itself

The pipe will be fitted into the front of the carb soon (PCV Port) - today if I am lucky.

I like the manual LT77 box which is very good since I learnt how to slick shift it :D It does need a rebuild though as I got a lot of filings out of it last time I changed the oil. Also, as it used to be an auto, there is a lot of room around it which is good for keeping the engine cooler - one of my bigger problems :?

Hi Ron

Everything is going just fine thanks.

I have done all of the small things on Sparky, next job is really going to be a complete strip down, derust (not much of that anyway) and a respray. So, just waiting for the manifolds to come back and will drive it to work for a couple of weeks before it comes to bits. I am considering having the whole base unit dipped and then it should last forever, or at least longer than me :shock:

I like the Vitesse wheels too, and becasue of the correct steering geometry with these, over the minilites, it does handle better and rattle less. The minilites did look good but had a 30mm offset where the Vitesse wheels have a 40mm offset. The spare wheel (Pressed steel) had a 40mm offset and was a proper P6 wheel, but I was assured that the offset on the P6 was 53mm :?

It was very confusing but the 15" Vitesse wheel do make the car handle like a P6 should. The uprated anti-roll bar also allows it to go around corners without scraping the door handles on the road. So all in all a good move and I sold the miniltes on ebay for £350.00 8)

How are things down under?

Richard

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Thanks Guys,

Kevin.

Richard P6
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Richard P6 »

Richard P6 wrote:I have done all of the small things on Sparky, next job is really going to be a complete strip down, derust (not much of that anyway) and a respray.
Well that didn't take long :shock:

All back together now and running like a dream. Lots more to do, but many more winters ahead :)

Now it's time to drive around and have some fun

Richard

Return to “Your Cars”