Should I be bovvered

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Should I be bovvered

Post by kiwicar »

I have just fitted my rev kit to my SBC build, to be honnest I am not happy with the result, it doesn't really locate in any way into the block/ heads, it really is only roughly held in place by the springs, I think it is meant to be stabalised by the underside of each head, but this is an area, in the middle, of no more than about 3/64" on the generous side on the other side it is less than 1/32", and this is all that stops the mounting plate from flexing. end to end and side to side it doesn't locate at all, and if/ when it shifts a little bit then the up/down location will fail, true all this will mean is the plate will felx more, but if it loads and flexes 100+ times a second which it will when the engine is running flat out then the ally mounting plate will work harden pretty quickly,
Has anyone else fitted one of these kits? Am I missing somthing important? or should I not worry because eack spring is only loading the plate by about 30lb or so even at max lift?
I would very much value peoples thoughts/ experiances.
Best regards
Mike

poppet valves rule!

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

Can you post a pic of the install?

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Marki
Yes I can, but it will have to wait until tommorow afternoon, I wrapped the engine back up this evening and It is too cold for me in the garage tonight :cry: . Having sait that it lookes like all the pictures of this set up I have seen.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi,
Here are some photos.

The two banks are basically the same set up, the ones the right way up are the ones where I have less than 1/32 to engage the rev kit on the head, the upside down ones are where I have about 3/64". There is about 1/2 to 3/4" crearance on either end.
Best regards
Mike
PS sorry couldn't get the posting to work properly but the links work.
poppet valves rule!

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

They look absolutely fine, its only taking the weight of the follower from the valve spring thus giving more rev capability, been used for years like that with no problems. Good to go I reckon.

Alan

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Alan
that is good to hear, I am sick of modifying things to get them to work.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

How exactly is the kit supposed to work? Is it adding springs to help push the lifters down faster? -and if so can one assume cam and lifter life would be shortened, and maybe the starter will have to work harder?
TC

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Tom
The kit is mainly to keep the lifters in the bore should a rocker or push rod fail, if a lifter came out then you would instantly loose oil pressure to the mains and the bottom end would die before you could cut the engine. A secondary benifit is it adds about 30lb of spring pressure at the lifters, I am running 520 lb/inch springs through 1.5 to 2 lifters, only about 4% extra at the lifter so not alot , but the springs are about at the maximum you can run, they will need changing about every 6K miles. the cam is on a steel blank as a result. The cam is a roller cam so there is relatively little wear compared to a flat tappet cam. An extra 4% pressure is of little consideration as far as wear rates are concerned.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”