fitting davies craig electric water pump.

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

Ralphh85 wrote:you will find pumps going up an up in size, but you only need a pump which will be adequate, you wont get any more power from a bigger pump lol, as long as my davies craig does the job then im happy.

only thing im still unsure of is how well the heater is going to work, i have made the pipes up an having the heater take of pipe welded in at 45degs with the pipe patrooding in to the main pipe.

Ralph
The pump I had fitted to my Morris seized solid at about 7000 miles, but that was after I sold it. I beleive a chunk of rust got under the impeller, but once cleaned it ran okay again.

It always cooled the motor well enough but the general opinion of many experts was that in a hi performance motor there would not be enough pressure/flow to adequately cool hot spots in the heads.

If ever you need more flow that Jabsco might be the answer.

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

if the daves craig pump, and a conventional pump with stat are both running the engine with water coming out at say 88degree's.

then there must be the same flow rate of water?

so i dont see how it would effect having hot spots etc????

true about a more reliable pump being better, tho i havent herd many complaints about the daves craig.

Ralph

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

Ralphh85 wrote:if the daves craig pump, and a conventional pump with stat are both running the engine with water coming out at say 88degree's.

then there must be the same flow rate of water?

so i dont see how it would effect having hot spots etc????

true about a more reliable pump being better, tho i havent herd many complaints about the daves craig.

Ralph
The naysayers told me (on many occasions) that the Craig Davies water speed would not be enough to get adequate cooling into all the corners/cavities inside the heads, so when the motor was under hard load there could/would be hot spots and possible cracking/distortion when under hard load.

I doubt that the electric pump would move anywhere near as much water as a standard pump does at higher rpm.

I never had a problem, and have sat on the motorway at 90mph for a good half hour at a time on occasion, with nary a flicker from the temp gauge, but you would think the temp would raise a little if there was any sort of a cooling problem.

The beauty of the electric pump was I could leave it on for a minute or two after the motor was shut down, whether that makes any difference on a standard car, but on a tuned motor it could be useful.

There were some long and colourful debates on the forum a few years ago when I first mentioned my Craig Davies water pump. :D

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

the flow of water is exactly proportional to cooling.

so they are talking poop if they think the davies craig is keeping the engine cool but not flowing enough. this is a contradiction.

if it keeps the temp right then it must be flowing just as much as a conventional system.

Ralph

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

Ralphh85 wrote:the flow of water is exactly proportional to cooling.

so they are talking poop if they think the davies craig is keeping the engine cool but not flowing enough. this is a contradiction.

if it keeps the temp right then it must be flowing just as much as a conventional system.

Ralph
What I was being told was how do you know the temp is the same in all the nooks and crannies though? The water might circulate at the right temp, for that is what the thermostat does, but under hard loading you could have overly hot areas around the combustion chambers, where the water was 'stagnating' due to lack of overall speed through the motor/heads.

I can see their point, but that situation they describe might well be the same in a normally water-pumped engine. Several guys use these pumps on race motors, and they didn't see any problems.

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

yeah that wont be any different with an electric one to a normal setup, thats more to do with the design of the head/block, so should have been designed so that it doesnt cause an issue.

i can see what they are trying to say but its wrong, and people using them in race cars with no issues proves it.

leccy is the way forward, embrace the future :)

the only bad thing with leccy is your making electricity from the engine, then just using it to turn a motor which doesnt make total sence but its better than having a pump which is tied to the engine RPM.

Ralph

Return to “Cooling Area”