fitting davies craig electric water pump.

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

Ralphh85 wrote:cheers for the help!

maybe i wont worry so much then, also will wait till i get a pump before i make any decisions.

do you know the ID or OD of the pump inlet/outlets?

Ralph
The actual hose stubs are fairly big, but the hole the water passes through when it leaves the impeller is pretty small, maybe 5/8".

You should invest in the electronic controller as well, to make it all work more efficiently. I planned to, just never got round to it.

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

yup going to get the digital controller, as it gives quicker warm up times and continues to run on after engine off, which is a good to.

the onyl let down i can see so far is reduced heater effect, however can be sorted with en extra pump, but i wont bother enless i have a problem with it.

anyway heres few pics, just need to get the pipes welded in place where im holding them.

edit, also gonna cut away most of the housing which is no longer needed for the old water pump so it looks neat an like it supposed to be like it.

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

Ralphh85 wrote:yup going to get the digital controller, as it gives quicker warm up times and continues to run on after engine off, which is a good to.

the onyl let down i can see so far is reduced heater effect, however can be sorted with en extra pump, but i wont bother enless i have a problem with it.

anyway heres few pics, just need to get the pipes welded in place where im holding them.

edit, also gonna cut away most of the housing which is no longer needed for the old water pump so it looks neat an like it supposed to be like it.

Won't that pipe need to be sealed/welded to the cover as well as the housing?

Whereabouts is your pump going to be situated? Recommendations are to have it as low as possible so it stays good and wet, no chance of air pockets etc.

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

to seal where the casting meets the front cover, i got the pipe bit welded up so it has a lump of weld, which i have asked a mate to skim back on a mill or surface grinder, not sure how he will do it, so its flat, and im going to build the front cover up with chemical metal so it is also flush with the rest of the gasket surface.

then i will make up some new gaskets, an job done.

in pic 2 you can see where he has built the weld up to be finished flat.

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

as some one was interested here some progress...

grrr pics aint working, will upload some other time.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Hmmm looking interesting, any progress on this?

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

if you interested have look here....

http://metropower.co.uk/forum/forums/th ... &start=201

not sure if you have to be a member tho.

anyway it is on, got mate to skim it flat and filled the block an bolted it on.

Ralph

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

Ralphh85 wrote:to seal where the casting meets the front cover, i got the pipe bit welded up so it has a lump of weld, which i have asked a mate to skim back on a mill or surface grinder, not sure how he will do it, so its flat, and im going to build the front cover up with chemical metal so it is also flush with the rest of the gasket surface.

then i will make up some new gaskets, an job done.

in pic 2 you can see where he has built the weld up to be finished flat.

Ahh, I see. That looks the business. I've got a buy myself a decent tig welder one of these days.

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

Ralphh85 wrote:if you interested have look here....

http://metropower.co.uk/forum/forums/th ... &start=201

not sure if you have to be a member tho.

anyway it is on, got mate to skim it flat and filled the block an bolted it on.

Ralph
I was just browsing the Boss Hoss forums and came across the electric water pump they use on all their motors, even the big block 500cube Chevy engined bike. They certainly look a well made bit of kit, and some of them Boss Hoss boys put tens of thousands of miles on there bikes.

http://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/pumps/ ... riming.htm

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

you will find pumps going up an up in size, but you only need a pump which will be adequate, you wont get any more power from a bigger pump lol, as long as my davies craig does the job then im happy.

only thing im still unsure of is how well the heater is going to work, i have made the pipes up an having the heater take of pipe welded in at 45degs with the pipe patrooding in to the main pipe.

Ralph

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Ralph, have you got any finished pics of this? Saw it ages ago on this thread but would be interested to see it finished! Looks very smart.

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

of which bit? the pipes?

can get more pics uploaded.

Ralph

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

few pics,

milled the thing flat after welding....

part fitted,

pipes before welding

edit, pics aint working again..........

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

pics arent working because they arent a direct link to the pics, its a link to an ASP page which wont show under the image tag.

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

they seem to work on most forums like that, i have no idea how to find the direct link....

Ralph

Return to “Cooling Area”