Collapsed floats

Any posts regarding LPG to be posted here ONLY please.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Holmsey

Post by Holmsey »

Couldn't get Nitrophyl floats to fit the Edelbrock. So I just put some std brass floats in and have fitted a phenolic spacer between the carb and inlet, which keeps the heat away from the carb.
Maybe they just implode from heat from the inlet and the chambers being empty. Been Ok since I did this.

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

Holmsey wrote:Couldn't get Nitrophyl floats to fit the Edelbrock. So I just put some std brass floats in and have fitted a phenolic spacer between the carb and inlet, which keeps the heat away from the carb.
Maybe they just implode from heat from the inlet and the chambers being empty. Been Ok since I did this.
Did you try drilling a small hole in one Dave, see if any petrol ran out? Or hold them underwater, (before you drill them) to see if they have a leak in?

I'm guessing heat has caused them to leak the air out as it expanded, through tiny porosity in the soldering maybe, and when the cold petrol hit them they collapsed due to the air inside shrinking and not being able to get in through the hole quick enough.

Holmsey

Post by Holmsey »

No Paul I didn't drill a hole. I tried to re inflate them in boiling water, with a modicum of success. then after some kind of brain fart I put them over a flame and the solder melted whaa whaa ;o) and one came in two, mind you they didn't explode so luckily they must have had no fuel in them..
:shock:

Return to “LPG Section”