Short Water Pump

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

34coupe

Short Water Pump

Post by 34coupe »

Hey guys, What is the shortest water pump available for a Rover V8,I have a Disco V8 with SD1 box in position in my Sierra.I have mocked the rad up in position(Disco Rad came with engine)the end of the pump is about half an inch away from rad.Its a pre serpentine engine and i will be running twin electric fans from an Audi A3 i picked up at work.Would i have to swap front cover and crank pulley for say a P6 or is there another one i could use Cheers Stu

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Sd1 front cover and P6 pump and pulleys.

scoobyv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by scoobyv8 »

i'm currently considering at an electric watter pump for my build.

the davies craig pump is about £130 and is a remotely mounted pump. i intend to remove the impeller, and cut the front off my mecanical pump then either get a plate ali welded over the impeller shaft hole, or simply drill, tap, and bolt a plate over it with a gasket.

as i dont have a crank pulley on my engine, i'm going to have a go at machining a hub, on the lathe, and finding a multi rib pulley to bolt onto it (some renault crank pulleys bolt on like this) then i'l be able to use the subaru 6 rib alternator, and ps pump

anything to keep the engine as short as possable

it was mentioned away back at the start of my project on the old forum by someone called "pitsnow" http://www.v-8.org.uk/snitzforum/topic. ... IC_ID=5023
The refinement of modern day comfort, and the prestige of a rover V8! In the making.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

scoobyv8 wrote:i'm currently considering at an electric watter pump for my build.

the davies craig pump is about £130 and is a remotely mounted pump. i intend to remove the impeller, and cut the front off my mecanical pump then either get a plate ali welded over the impeller shaft hole, or simply drill, tap, and bolt a plate over it with a gasket.

anyone ever did this before??? i'd be intrested in hearing how you got on.

as i dont have a crank pulley on my engine, i'm going to have a go at machining a hub, on the lathe, and finding a multi rib pulley to bolt onto it (some renault crank pulleys bolt on like this) then i'l be able to use the subaru 6 rib alternator, and ps pump

anything to keep the engine as short as possable
Are you intending to run the engine without a ballencer??? I hope not as this is a big NoNo, if you dont, the engine will at best be as rough as a badgers arse, or at worst break the crank.
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

scoobyv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by scoobyv8 »

it was just a quick idea ian, mating a pulley of the same size as the RV8, with a hub sleave to give the shortest offset possible from the front cover.

as with v8's i'm also new to engineering

surely the flywheel will keep the shaft in ballance regardless of how heavy or light the crank pulley is. correct me if i'm wrong

George
The refinement of modern day comfort, and the prestige of a rover V8! In the making.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Nope the FrontPully is hamonically damped to get help eliminate the frequency problems in a v8 and MUST be used, otherwise things break!!!!, normally the crank.
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

scoobyv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by scoobyv8 »

i'l no be doing that then! cheers!

what pulley can you sujest i use then? are the newer rangie ones multi ribed? how long are they? will they fit my old crank?

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

No idea where they sit but they wont ft the older crank as is as the new cranks are longer.

Unless your going to run all the accessories low down your going to have to loop round a water pump anyway and the only way you can do that is with the P6 stuff. Any further back and your in the alloy. If you are running it all low down and don't have to loop through the pump then strip the tin pulleys of the damper and get a poly V pulley made up and run it off the back of the damper.

34coupe

Post by 34coupe »

Cheers Marki,your a mine of information,do i need the SD! front cover?or will the P6 pump fit my Disco front cover,if not has anybody got a spare SD1 cover,P6 pump and crank pulley Cheers Stu

Just gonna put some pics on Garage Scene

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

You need the SD1 cover the pumps are different. P6 pumps can still be had new.

scoobyv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by scoobyv8 »

went out to the hut tonight to take a few measurements and took a few picys

heres what i have, the red line shows how mutch can be cut off and welded up if the electric pumps used.

second pic is the mesure tape, i know! i need a new one lol but you can make it out just

whacking off the pulley will save about 4 inches, i dont think a short crank pulley is nessesary tho. theres loads of room there

ps, you like my V2 pencil sharpener? lol

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

You would save more room if you used a 2wd front cover like an Sd1. The one you have is 4wd. If this is a road car then I wouldn't even think about using an electric pump. They just don't have a long enough life span and the claims of better cooling are dubious at best. If your that bothered about space I wouldn't be using a poly V belt either as they are over twice the width of a v belt.

scoobyv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by scoobyv8 »

katanaman wrote:You would save more room if you used a 2wd front cover like an Sd1. The one you have is 4wd. If this is a road car then I wouldn't even think about using an electric pump. They just don't have a long enough life span and the claims of better cooling are dubious at best. If your that bothered about space I wouldn't be using a poly V belt either as they are over twice the width of a v belt.
yet again i'm showing my poor knowlage of the RV8. i'l have to look for a 2wd cover and pump then. the hype on the electric pump says it will last, and it works well, but thats just what ive read.

i'd like to try and use the power steering pump and alternator from the subaru as it fits all the plugs and pipes on the car. and its a 6 rib belt. i dont mind a little compromise with the belt size. as long as it makes the the job a bit easier

how far is the front of the 2wd pump from the block facing?
George

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Yeah there is a lot of hype and internet crap surrounding electric water pumps. The general consensus is you either like them or hate them as far as I can tell.

I'm currently remaining undecided until I fit mine and see how things go. I can see the arguments from both sides, but I have read/seen a few people who have had marvalous results with them. We'll see.

BTW I'm running a vitesse from cover and stripped water pump.

Return to “Cooling Area”