TEMP TOO COOL ON THE FREEWAY

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

pcorro

TEMP TOO COOL ON THE FREEWAY

Post by pcorro »

gday,new to this forum, hope someone can help me. i have a 5ltr holden v8 in the land cruiser,my problem is on my last trip on the highway the temp reading went down to the cold mark and the heater didnt blow out hot air any more,but when i stop or slow down at the towns it slowly comes back to about the quarter mark.its fine driving around the suburbs.THANKS IN ADVANCE

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Radiator thermostat sounds like it is stuck open, keeping the rad in circulation all the time, with it stuck open the engine will not normally get fully hot, or take ages to do so,
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

ian.stewart wrote:Radiator thermostat sounds like it is stuck open, keeping the rad in circulation all the time, with it stuck open the engine will not normally get fully hot, or take ages to do so,
:whs
But just once. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Post by marcjagman »

May be the radiator that's too big. Does it have elec fans with a thermo switch?

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

marcjagman wrote:May be the radiator that's too big. Does it have elec fans with a thermo switch?
Pcorro said it happened on the last trip on the highway and I would therefore assume the engine ran fine before. Even with a rad that is too large the thermostat if working properly would not allow coolant through the rad until the engine is up to the designed working temperature.

Cheers Denis
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

pcorro

Post by pcorro »

it does have a new radiator and twin 10 inch thermo fans with thermostat if thats any help.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Try another thermostat. It's going to be easiest and cheapest to do.
Cheers,
John

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

unstable load wrote:Try another thermostat. It's going to be easiest and cheapest to do.
I agree. try a new thermostat.
Think of all the fuel you will save.

You can do a check on your existing thermostat as follows,

Start the engine from cold. If the thermostat is stuck open then the top hose will gradually heat up, but if the thermostat is working properly the top hose will stay cold for about 4-5 minutes and then suddenly get very hot.

Cheers Denis

pcorro

Post by pcorro »

thaks for your help,i will attemt to put one in on the weekend and let you know how it went. thanks again

pcorro

Post by pcorro »

it was the thermostat,i even did it myself,not bad for a butcher(trade), thanks for the advice :D

Return to “Cooling Area”