5.2 Oil System - help and links please ! ?

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Nigel B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

5.2 Oil System - help and links please ! ?

Post by Nigel B »

Hi All,

I was lucky enough to buy 3 x tea chests - the contents of which were a heavily abused 5.2 JED Triple Plenum race Rover V8 :shock:

Some months, and several £££££s later I have a near complete engine.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?app=c ... h_id=35990

Now, some bits were missing :( and one was the oil control system, I have now a new Timing Cover, modified by JED - this means the Oil filter mounting is machined off - and the inlet and outlet are I think 1/2 BSP or a J type thread, and these I belive should go to a remote filter.

Thats not a huge issue but I have read about these engines getting hot when booted, so was wondering about fitting a cooler and maybe a thermostat, prob is I know little about the last few bits

Can some kind soul(s) give me suggestions as to best filter units (should I just use a rover filter and remote unit or is there a better filter combo to use ?, and how / what is the process for a coller / thermostat, and how are they tuned / fitted ?

Many thanks

Nige

Lover of V8s and Megasquirt - Now with a shop for all things Megasquirt - & V8 - Brackets parts and complete systems www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

if it is a 4.0 or 4.6 front cover with crank driven oil pump it has separate take offs for an oil cooler and the stat is built into the front cover.
An oil cooler may help but it isn't a replacement for a properly speced water cooling system.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

katanaman wrote:if it is a 4.0 or 4.6 front cover with crank driven oil pump it has separate take offs for an oil cooler and the stat is built into the front cover.
An oil cooler may help but it isn't a replacement for a properly speced water cooling system.
Hi Marki.
A question about the built in oil stat. Is it just a simple restriction which allows thin hotter oil to take the route through the cooler whereas thick cooler oil takes the easier route direct to the engine.

Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

spend
Getting There
Getting There

Post by spend »

No stat I've seen.... It's designed for water/oil cooling/warming in the rad so a stat would even be detrimental?
Dave

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

spend wrote:No stat I've seen.... It's designed for water/oil cooling/warming in the rad so a stat would even be detrimental?
Dave,
So are you saying that there is no stat in the 4.0/4.6 front cover like Marki intimated.
Regards Denis
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

well the one I had in my hands a couple of years ago to repair definitely had a stat built into it. How it works I have no idea as I have never used one. Maybe some models have and some havent. It would be foolish for a manufacturer to produce an oil cooler system without a stat IMOH especially on an engine that doesn't need one full time.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

katanaman wrote:well the one I had in my hands a couple of years ago to repair definitely had a stat built into it. How it works I have no idea as I have never used one. Maybe some models have and some havent. It would be foolish for a manufacturer to produce an oil cooler system without a stat IMOH especially on an engine that doesn't need one full time.
Hi Marki
I have stripped and reassembled a few if these crank driven oil pump later covers including the 3.9 serp type and not noticed anything which could be an oil stat. Hence my original question to you. All that is inside the cover is the pump itself and the pressure relief valve. There is a clever fitting on the end of one of the oil cooler pipes which makes the cover automatically suitable for a non cooler application when the pipes are replaced with a bung.

As spend says there would be no need for a oil stat when the oil is fed through the oil/water heat exchanger in the main cooling system radiator.

Regards Denis

Nigel B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Nigel B »

Hi All,

A bit more info then may help :D ?

Its a IBG Block from John Eales, bore and stroke take it to 5.2, it uses a 3.9 serpentine front cover (Dizzy type) and will be fitted (I think) with std water pump viscous fan and cowlinhg to suit.

The radiator is already a bigger than std version, thuis engine is going in my Challenge 90, which wioll then be shoved into feet deep mud and goo, and given beans - the result with the 4.5 JED I have at the moment is it gets super hot, and thats also with 2 x 16 inch fans on the rad, and exit holes for exsseive heat on the backs of the wings

Basically I know this engine will be a tad tricky to keep cool in this sort of environment - rad can get covered solid in mud etc, so I am looking a ways to add additional cooling to keep things under control ?

My knowledge / memory says either cool water or cool oil, both effect heat, and if poss both, but use a stat or 2 to ensure doesn't overcool ?

It aleady has a huge rad, that on its own won't be enough, inc the 2 x existing fans, the cowling will be used to help direct every possible air flow not to escape.

The front cover has been modified by John, the oil filter screw on area is cut away and tigwelded closed, then a "In" and a "Out" Aeroquip male 1/2 BSP (I Think) fitting is placed there, the can be send them to a remote oil filter (Longer pipes = more oil = help in cooling) but I was thinking of an oil cooler as well, and hence the thermostat - I have no idea of the options ?

I am also listening to a friend, he says fit a electric water pump, which will control the flow to aid cooling etc ? EWP is it ? are these as good as he says ?

Any help will be gratefully rec'd as I am bnearing finish of the build, and don't want to then stop and do a U Turn on cooling systems !

HELP :)

Nige
Lover of V8s and Megasquirt - Now with a shop for all things Megasquirt - & V8 - Brackets parts and complete systems www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

If it's going in a 90, is there no way to move the radiator to the loadbed where it will be out of the muck? Or is that not allowed in the rules?
Cheers,
John

Nigel B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Nigel B »

Er

Not if I can help it :lol: the back it stuffed full of "Stuff" eventing, and passengers can be heavy handed "Chucking" stuff ionto the back, it was the case
on my old racer that I did this, but would prefer to keep the rad in the front

One Idea I have to remove the mud (Its easy to shift when fresh, but heat hardens it to cemet) is a mod I am planning to do which will see a rectangle of prob 8 - 10 High Pressure Range Rover Headlamp wash units made to a frame that when the switch is pressed shoves a latge amount of water under quite high pressure 100% across the core to flush out the debris, the core I belive is called a "Gillote" core, used in JCBs etc where the tubes are thicker (carries more watr) and the fins wider and stronger so won't collapse at 1st swirty :lol: and I think its a 7 row as well

Any help / ideas are welcome

nige

Nigel B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Nigel B »

also

Having had a rummage at a spare 3.9 serp timing cover there is no stat in them at all, there is a pressure relief valve but thats all

Nige

Return to “Cooling Area”