thermostat

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Will Reeve
Getting There
Getting There

thermostat

Post by Will Reeve »

Just bought a genuine Rover thermostat. Quality is as you would expect superb bit it also has a little hole and plunger arrangement I've not seen before. I also treated her to a genuine gasket, they may be a quid more but they are metal and foam...it looks like genuine parts are worth the extra here!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

make sure you fit the stat with the hole and plunger at the 12 o'clock position in the housing so air can purge on startup.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Will Reeve
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Will Reeve »

It has an idiot proof "top" stamped into it :-) I was surprised they went to the effort with the ball. I presume it's to only allow air through it and not water during the warm up period when the 'stat is closed? I would have thought the water pressure would keep it closed when the water pump was running?

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

Will Reeve wrote,...
I would have thought the water pressure would keep it closed when the water pump was running?
Hello Will,

It will. Thermostats equipped with jiggle pins have been around for many many years. It is there to prevent air from being trapped behind the thermostat. When the engine is off, any air that finds itself behind the thermostat can pass around the jiggle pin, which won't be pressed against the hole, and rise to the high point at the top of the radiator hose. Once the engine is running, coolant flow pushing in the direction of the thermostat will keep the pin pressed into the hole (that is the theory anyway) whether the thermostat is open or closed. In reality I expect a small percentage of coolant will pass around the pin prior to the thermostat opening.

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

Return to “Cooling Area”