Water pump differences.

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

SuperV8 wrote:Regarding the height I used the RR water pump on my Dax Rush (even though most people were struggling to source SD1 front covers/pumps) with no problems and I had to cut a hole for the plenum to poke through so i'd have thought the SD1 would have a higher bonnet line as the plenum fits under the bonnet!

Tom.
The SD1 slopes down quite steeply to the front - just guessing, the top of the rad is about 3" lower than the plenum. The RR more or less parallel to the ground.

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

I ditched the SD1 pump and fitted twin thermo fans with their integral plastic shroud (off an AU model Fprd Falcon 1998-2002) which pull a massive 3,000 cfm of air through the radiator.

Along with a Buick 300/340 water pump which is shorter than the SD1 pump.

GMB, AC Delco, TRW, Cardone and Airtex all sell these water pumps which are around USD30.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Robrover wrote:I ditched the SD1 pump and fitted twin thermo fans with their integral plastic shroud (off an AU model Fprd Falcon 1998-2002) which pull a massive 3,000 cfm of air through the radiator.

GMB, AC Delco, TRW, Cardone and Airtex all sell these water pumps which are around USD30.
The version of my SD1 takes a temperature sensitive viscous coupled fan which seems to be as used on many new cars these days so I'd guess is the most efficient route. I'm happy enough with the cooling system - it's just the cost of the pump, since it appears to be getting rare. Still cheaper than converting to a decent electric fan set-up, though. ;-)
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Robrover wrote:I ditched the SD1 pump and fitted twin thermo fans with their integral plastic shroud (off an AU model Fprd Falcon 1998-2002) which pull a massive 3,000 cfm of air through the radiator.

Interesting piece of information. I had a quick google & came up with this.:D

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/pumps.htm

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

Yes the Buick 300/340 alloy short nose pump is the one I have along with an EH model Holden (1963-65) pulley which lines up with the SD1 crank pulley.

I don't use the SD1 alternator bracket, made my own up.

Almost all new V8s and sixes here now use thermo fans to cope with the hot conditions encountered in summer when idling for long periods in city traffic (along with 2 core alloy radiators).

To switch the fans on and off I used a Flex a Lite Variable Speed Controller from Summit Racing.

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Hi Robrover,
I've also gone the electric fan route with a thermo-switch. Summer or winter the temperature sits between 85/88C. It also makes tensioning the fan belt etc easier as you don't have that bloody fan scraping the skin off the back of your hands.:lol:

Regards Ged

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

ged wrote:Hi Robrover,
I've also gone the electric fan route with a thermo-switch. Summer or winter the temperature sits between 85/88C. It also makes tensioning the fan belt etc easier as you don't have that bloody fan scraping the skin off the back of your hands.:lol:
I use a turnbuckle to tension the belt on my EFI - the design of the alternator bracket makes it difficult to lever it to the correct tension.
Couldn't find one exactly right so cut down one from here:-

http://www.steelwirerope.com/Products/C ... Range.html

Look at the eye & eye range.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor