Kenlowe Fan

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

wwfc_1974

Kenlowe Fan

Post by wwfc_1974 »

I have a 16" kenlowe pusher fan wired to a relay and then a thermostat. Off the thermostat is a copper wire with the torpedo shaped sensor that fits into the top rad hose (the one with the red sealing band). No matter how I try I cannot get this to seal correctly. How can I re-connect the fan through a manual switch instead of the copper torpedo ? Is it a simple "do away with the thermostat" and wire the relay power source through a switch is is it more complicated than that ?

Chris

1982 Series 3 88" V8

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I'm havin a similar problem, so I've decided to junk the lot and wire a manual switch to the fan. On. Off. Just gotta remember to turn it on when needed!

wwfc_1974

Post by wwfc_1974 »

That`s what I want to do but a bit unsure wire to wire the switch in ?
1982 Series 3 88" V8

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

one wire that currently goes from your stat to the relay is the switched, either remove and replace this wire to a switch or re-route it to a switch. The other wire with be a feed from a fuse, replace or re-route this to the other side of the switch and that's about it. Course you have to be care full you don't forget to keep an eye on the temp and switch it on. You could replace the capillary type stat you have just now for an electronic one. They come as a complete unit which is like a bit of alloy pipe with the electronics built into it. You cut a section out the rubber hose and insert the pipe. https://secure.visav.co.uk/avshop/produ ... 39&scat=95 second one down.

wwfc_1974

Post by wwfc_1974 »

Marki, many thanks, where electrics are concerned they have to be explained in very simple terms.

Chris
1982 Series 3 88" V8

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

I once had a clover fan, in the kit to fit it was a small rubber pad that went on top of the rad stub, the capillery tube then rested on top of this and sealed nicely, the pads are exactlly the same as double glazing firms use to keep the glass apart, i'm sure theres some local too you, john
P.S. edited as i didn't have my glasses on !
Last edited by JSF55 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So thats where it went !

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Kenlowe Fan

Post by Paul B »

wwfc_1974 wrote:I have a 16" kenlowe pusher fan wired to a relay and then a thermostat. Off the thermostat is a copper wire with the torpedo shaped sensor that fits into the top rad hose (the one with the red sealing band). No matter how I try I cannot get this to seal correctly. How can I re-connect the fan through a manual switch instead of the copper torpedo ? Is it a simple "do away with the thermostat" and wire the relay power source through a switch is is it more complicated than that ?

Chris
I have a Kenlowe on my Morris, came from my dad but had no sealing strip for that copper tube to go in to seal it where it passes into the top rad hose. I made one from a thin strip of rubber, 2mm thick, 15mm wide, 50mm long. I tapered the edges on the long sides cut a shallow groove down the centre longways and slipped it in with the copper in the groove. I used two hose clips to secure it nice 'n tight.

Return to “Cooling Area”