Temperature sender unit

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

v8alex
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Temperature sender unit

Post by v8alex »

I'm going to fit the temperature sender unit to my Edelbrock manifold - should I use PTFE tape or anything like that to ensure a good water tight seal, or can the device simply be bolted in place?

Alex

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Temperature sender unit

Post by Paul B »

v8alex wrote:I'm going to fit the temperature sender unit to my Edelbrock manifold - should I use PTFE tape or anything like that to ensure a good water tight seal, or can the device simply be bolted in place?

Alex
If it is a taper thread then a couple of wraps of PTFE tape will seal it well. Don't make the mistake of wrapping forty layers on it like so many people do. Test fit it to see how much thread actually goes into the hole, then try to make sure the tape doesn't go further up the thread than that, so it looks neat and tidy after you finish. :D

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

If it's an electric unit best advice is ~NO

Get a shitty earth and the gauge is all over the place

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

Ian Anderson wrote:If it's an electric unit best advice is ~NO

Get a shitty earth and the gauge is all over the place

Ian
Hence the 2 wraps instructions.

The idea being that the tape merely fills any small gaps left between metal to metal seal.

The forty-wraps brigade can easily achieve total electrical insulation and also have a great booger lump of tape poking out, showing the whole world that they know nothing about anything. :lol:

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Paul

Only mentioning it as I've do the bad earth route and it was a bugger to locate!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Andy515666
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Andy515666 »

Hi guys

Just reading your post and this could explain to why my temp guage was so off.
I too used the tape to seal betwen temp sender and inlet manifold. I didnt stop to think that this would cause an issue with the earth.

My gauge rises and keeps on rising past 110* (at whcih poit i turn the motor off) I listen and can hear no boiling noise and the motor does not seem to be overheating.

I removed the thermostat and checked, same problem.

I have ended up putting on a new water pump, had the radiator re-conidtioned/re-cored.

Could the earth to gauge be the issue here? (too much tape wrapped around the sender unit?)

Cheers
Chur Bro

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I would at least independently measure the engine temp, with a temp probe on the thermostat housing to see if the gauge is accurate......

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Cooling Area”