water pump removal

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

water pump removal

Post by ppyvabw »

Is it possible to remove the water pump without changing the front cover gasket, because of course 4 bolts go through the water pump and the front cover. Does the gasket lift up, or will I get away without?

The stud that the alternator adjusting bracket thingy has broken, and either need to a) drill it out or b) take off the water pump to try and get it out.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I have changed pumps on my RV8 a few times without taking the front cover off. But the first time I had to pull the front cover and re tap a couple of holes for the long bolts.
The big problem is the bolts that go into the waterway can often shear off if they have rusted.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

5000SE
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by 5000SE »

As MGBV8 says, it shouldn't be a problem as long as the long bolts aren't rusted - they can be swines.

I changed one in the middle of London about 20 years ago when my water pump bearing collapsed - half way across Tower Bridge! Managed to limp it to a nearby parking spot (there used to be such things in London), pick up a pump from a motor factor after a quick trip on the tube and had her running 3 or 4 hours later.
No substitute for cubic inches

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

Ok chaps, thanks. If I cant drill it out, i will just take it off.

Hopefully they wont snap, because I made and used some stainless studs when I put her together to replace those long bolts, so hopefully the sods have corroded into the aluminium and wont break off inside at the thread :lol:

Return to “Cooling Area”