Kenlowe or Pacet

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Kenlowe or Pacet

Post by tetlow »

I am in the process of changing my MGB twin fans to twin modern ones.
I appreciate a larger fan is more efficient but I do not want to modify any metalwork. I am looking to fit two 10" as a pair, pushing.

Which are better? The Kenlowe has a smaller depth but I think they would both fit.

Kenlowe go on about curved blades being better, but Pacet look to be a bit more professional.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. :D

Regards

Dave

1973 MGBGT
1975 MGB V8

I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it turns out it was a train comming!!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

2 things to look at

1) Volume of air they move
2) Current they draw

More air movement normally means more cooling So long as the air goes through the rad and does not escape around the sides etc

The current drawn - probably need to have them wired through relays and separate fuses - a single thermostat switch is probably not man enough for 2 fans -yes it will work for a while and then burn out when you need it most.

For safety aways wire in a dash switch to be able to turn them on in advance - you can see a traffic jam up ahead but the fans can't

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

If I recall right there's different ways of measuring airflow, so check before comparing figures. I used a SPAL as it was lots cheaper than the others, very slimline, and had good flow. Alan at Fereday Cars has them listed on his site with figures & stuff.

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

Thanks Ian. :D
I have looked at the specs and they seem similar. I was hoping some one had used them and found which one was quieter etc.
I use a relay at the moment but I am sure it would be a good idea to run larger wires to seperate fuses. The 10" ones only use about 6A each.
I will add a dash switch and also a light so I can see when they are on.
Dave

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

I have just looked at the SPAL. They look good but I think they are too thick at the ends as I do not want to modify the slam panel.
I have emailed Fereday Cars to find out.
Thanks
Dave

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

He's a helpful guy, the kit car boys seem to use him a lot. I got a slimline one due to limited space, there's different depths etc.

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

Thanks for tip Alley Kat, I spoke to Alan and received 1 sucking and 1 blowing SPAL fans. Prices were very good and quality seems very good too.
Totally recommend Fereday Cars. :D :D
Regards
Dave

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Pleasure mate :wink:

Sondar

Post by Sondar »

If you're using a fuse, make sure it's quite a bit bigger than the steady current load. I fitted a Pacet Pro which stated (I think!) about 12 amp steady load, but needed a 30 amp fuse to take the start up load!
Sondar

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

And use a relay for each fan, again because the initial startup surge is huge and will chew the relay's contacts over time.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Return to “Cooling Area”