EWP - again

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Markus

EWP - again

Post by Markus »

I know there have been previous posts regarding electric water pumps but most seem to be for road cars so please humour me.
I have a 4.6 Rover in my Triumph TR7 race car and need some advice with my plumbing (that's the car not me).
I am running an Edelbrock manifold, no heater, an aluminium radiator and have a Davies Craig EWP 150.
Ambient temperatures can be rather high here in Australia.
Some advise to just run without a thermostat, put the sensor adaptor in the top hose and have a small hose from the top of the core to a simple header tank.
Others recommend hoses from the rear of the manifold or the heads joining into the lower hose before the pump and complicated header tank systems.
I must admit that I do like simple but can the racers among the group please advise me as to what is or is not the best way to go?

Mark
Triumph TR7/V8 race car
Triumph TR6 road car

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I would run with a thermostat, you can get streamlined ones if it worries you but keep it, it will warm up properly, the system is designed to have one and when removed you invariably get hot spots. I would check you have all the ducting and cowling around the rad in place and add some if it does not go all the way up to the radiator. Also make sure the hot air has a way to get out. finally the rover relies on airflow around the sump and bottom of the engine block for a good chunk of it's cooling, make sure air can get to this area, duct some in if you need to.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Markus

Post by Markus »

Thanks Mike.
Because the EWP will only start pushing the water around when temperatures start to rise do you think a restrict or plate would be ok rather than a thermostat?
Also does anyone have opinions on the actual plumbing of the system with the EWP? Which hose goes where etc remembering I don't have a heater in the system.
I'd appreciate any and all opinions.
Cheers!
Mark
Triumph TR7/V8 race car
Triumph TR6 road car

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

When I first bought my P6 it had a stuck thermostat and I removed it and cut off the mechanism, leaving the body as a restrictor. It's still in there today and for the time I drove the car, it never showed any more signs of trouble, but in all fairness, we don't get nearly as cold as the UK here in Cape Town, so for there, I'd definitely have replaced it.
Cheers,
John

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I suppose you could use the water pump on a variable controller to act as a thermostat and put a tube in the stat housing but you would need spare capacity in the pump for it to work.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Markus

Post by Markus »

I have the newest version of the Davies Craig electronic controller which monitors the temperature and reacts with initially small pulses of flow building as the temp rises to full flow.
As well I've got their full fat 150 pump which is apparently way more than the Rover should ever need so a "tube in the stat" should be ok.
If I put the DC temp sensor adaptor in the top hose and run the pump in the bottom hose do I need to then run a bypass to before or after the pump and from where?
Do I need to run a line from the rear of the manifold?
What about the header tank? Into and out of?
I really need your help on this one guys.
Cheers!
Mark
Triumph TR7/V8 race car
Triumph TR6 road car

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
if you can set the water pump to circulate water slowly when the engine is cold then get rid of the bypass as it is then only bypassing hot water away from the radiator when the engine is hot. I would use an expansion tank set up in line with the cooling system in the top hose if you have the height difference, rather than a header tank set up but that is mostly down to personal preference and space, the inline expansion tank saves a lot of hassel in that you don't have to get the air out. I think the line from the back of the manifold is to provide hot water to the heater when the stat is closed, so no, but someone will be along to correct me if I am wrong.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Markus

Post by Markus »

Thanks Mike.
Your advice on the pipe work will help enormously and settle my nerves.
Cheers!
Mark
Triumph TR7/V8 race car
Triumph TR6 road car

Return to “Cooling Area”