Help - High Temps - Race Engine

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

oneaves2005

Post by oneaves2005 »

Between the regulator and the carbs..... I have two pumps as well in case one stops working etc

oneaves2005

Post by oneaves2005 »

Question, just realised that the feed from the header tank is on the high pressure part of the system (it feeds in just before the hot water goes into the radiator) should it not be on the low pressure side. Would this make much difference?

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

To be effective as a header tank and de-aerator the tank must sit between the largest possible pressure differential.

Typically the outlet of the tank (lower connection) tee's as close as possible into the pump suction. The inlet to the tank for air separation goes to a connection as high as possible on the engine side of the thermostat.

It would not be good to have the lower connection on a pressure connection as it would just force all the air in the tank into the engine !
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

I have a very similar setup to yours. Mine is a 4.8L short stroke engine with Merlin heads but with throttle bodies making 368bhp. I also have a radtec . I use the davies craig 115EWP. Even when pushing hard on track I have no cooling issues at all but have found these engines prone to air locks.
Looking at the pic where does the pipe coming from top of thermostat housing go?
I have a header tank with one connection at bottom that connects to the highest point in the system ( thermostat housing thermostat removed).

I have modified a serp water pump so that the feed from EWP goes in the front plate.
Are you using the electronic pump controller?
Engine takes quite some time to get up to temp and on the road tends to over cool slightly.

Mark

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Water wetter would just be a sticking plaster to cover an underlying issue so dont waste your money - the fluid you use is perfectly good providing everything is as it should be.

Is the Pump between the rad out and the block with the header tank connection feeding into the pump? Bleed from top of manifold goes manifold and then up to header.?

Delta across the rad when running should be 20 degrees 80 out 60 back for peak power operation.

What heat rejection was the rad sized for - should be around 250kW at a 50 degree air delta and water flow rate of 3 L/sec. Rad connections 2"?

Just looking at the photo a bit closer - Is that the pump high up on the left - if so that's part of your problem - you have no suction head on the pump. It needs to be as low as possible

Andrew
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

Return to “Cooling Area”