Rover 3.5 temps?

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Rover 3.5 temps?

Post by Jono FD3 »

Hi guys, just a quick one to see what the ideal running temps are for the RV8 for oil & water?!
I try to keep coolant between 180*F - 200*F (Gauge is an autometer so reads in F) 82*C - 93*C although there has been the odd occasion where it creaps up to 215*F (100*C) but then I back off with twin electric fans on full and temps come down prety quick.
Haven't got an oil temp gauge yet, but have orderd one today so realy just want to know what it should be getting up to!

Cheers
Jono

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

That sounds about where my 3,9 hotwire runs.

Obviously it all depends on your set up, emissions requirements, thermostat used etc

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

set up is stock block, mild cam, ported heads, holley 390 and headman headders..... no stat in the block, but running a restrictor plate in it's place with a 24mm hole to imitate a stat with the core pulled out!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Water temp sounds about right to me, ideally around the cooler end of the range, but I would not go colder, for oil temp, provided you remain within manufacturers opperating range then you want to be 20 to 25C hotter than the water, however I think you will find it hard to get a rover to run oil temperatures that warm with water in the low 80s.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

OK, so I want to be around the 200F then (93C) or a fraction more? how hot would be too hot 110C?? just so I know as I've got an event coming up that will probably push the old 3.5 to the maximum of it's capabilities.... 80mph sideways!! going to be a mental day, but want to keep the engine in one piece too!!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I would keep the oil below 130C, above 140C most non synthetics start to form carbon. so a bit of head room is a good idea, I really don't think you have a worry though, if it is bugging you just direct some air from the front of the car/truck onto the sump, a bit of 18G ally sheet will do it.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Jono FD3 »

Nice one.... so oil below 130C and water below 100C, happy days shall give it death and see what the temps peak at while on the move!
Only problem is when your sideways you don't get the air flow through the rad & coolers, so going to put some fans on the oil cooler aswell just to help :)

Jono

Return to “Cooling Area”