B&M Hi Tech cooler

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

koopsterman
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

B&M Hi Tech cooler

Post by koopsterman »

I have got a B&M Hi tech cooler which is fitted with its own thermostat and cooling fan attached, I dont have a lot of room to fit it in any of the normal places, so I am thinking of fitting it in a horizontal position, I know this is not ideal for air-flow,but as it has its own fan to create its own air-flow I thought this would not be much of a problem.Has anyone done something similar or give any advice ?
Koopsterman

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
many race cars have their radiator virtually horizontal, however in nearly every case there is proper ducting to get the air into the engine and out again. I would not rely on just the fan to get cooling air through the rad or the car will overheat at high speed. The frontal area of any duct can be alot smaller than the area of the rad but you need alot more sectional area to the duct after the rad to get the air out and keep the flow through the matrix. Have a look at pictures of the Mclaren mk8 series, the slot at the front is the inlet duct for rad for a 650+ bhp big block chevy, http://www.mantacars.com/images/M8b2.jpg you don't need alot of sectional area but you need a well designed duct.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

koopsterman
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by koopsterman »

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention that the cooler is for an automatic transmission,so it will not be subjected to the same work-load as an engine coolant radiator I imagine. Do you think making a ducting "scoop" out of some sheet ali or similar would get the job done ?
Koopsterman

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

So thats where it went !

teamidris
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by teamidris »

If you rely on the fan without ducting it's possible it will suck its own hot air back in which makes it worse on shifting heat.
Or to look at it the other way a round, it'll work better if it gets fresh air (air at ambient temp).

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Ah. . .
that makes a big differance! It really depends on use, if it is a comp safari Range rover then you will need good constant flow through the matrix and for the fan to help out if you are not moving fast enough.
If it is a tow vehicle then much the same but you will need a biger fan.
in the case of a drag car, well . .I just mounted my trans cooler. . . inside the body pannels it has no fan and will probably have a fairley basic duct around it that will only get any flow once I am undar way, but it is for a powerglide that will be running flat out for about 20 seconds at a time, in two short bursts of about 10 seconds each. The cooler is basically a resivior of transmission fluid of about an extra litre, on top of the deep pan that holds an extra 2 litres, it really only acts as cooler after a run on the way back to the pits, the whole aproach relies on having lots of fluid to pump around the system and to keep the converter at a constant temperature whilst on run and let it cool down inbetween.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

koopsterman
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by koopsterman »

Actually Mike its none of the above, its a street rod, thanks for the input guys, with liberal amounts of faffing about the problem is hopefully put to bed now.
Koopsterman

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

koopsterman wrote:Actually Mike its none of the above, its a street rod, thanks for the input guys, with liberal amounts of faffing about the problem is hopefully put to bed now.
Koopsterman

Hi!
I fitted mine under he MGB near the rear axle. It sits around 45 degree's and I made an ally scoop to push air onto the fan to help when moving.

I can dig out a pic If you need one.

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

koopsterman
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by koopsterman »

Hi Perry, If you could dig out a picture that might be be helpfull.

Return to “Cooling Area”