Do I need an Oil Cooler

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

hirot

Do I need an Oil Cooler

Post by hirot »

Hi, I have put a 3.9 rover into my MGB and because of space and something I had read about not needing one in cooler climates, I haven't as yet installed an oil cooler.

However, as I am about to re-site my oil filter so I can get at it, I wondered if it was necessary to have one. My normal trips are at most 40 miles and around town although I now plan to start cruising in her.

The normal place for the oil cooler is directly in front of the bottom of the radiator, which seems crazy to me as the hot air over it then heats the radiator.

So, I was wondering if just a single finned 15mm copper pipe around 2 foot long would be a reasonable compromise or should I go for a narrow 10 or 12 row cooler. My problem is putting it somewhere where it gets an air flow.

Ian

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

"Do I need an Oil Cooler"
No
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Do I need an Oil Cooler

Post by mgbv8 »

hirot wrote:Hi, I have put a 3.9 rover into my MGB and because of space and something I had read about not needing one in cooler climates, I haven't as yet installed an oil cooler.

However, as I am about to re-site my oil filter so I can get at it, I wondered if it was necessary to have one. My normal trips are at most 40 miles and around town although I now plan to start cruising in her.

The normal place for the oil cooler is directly in front of the bottom of the radiator, which seems crazy to me as the hot air over it then heats the radiator.

So, I was wondering if just a single finned 15mm copper pipe around 2 foot long would be a reasonable compromise or should I go for a narrow 10 or 12 row cooler. My problem is putting it somewhere where it gets an air flow.

Ian

Ian!
The oil cooler on an MGB in the UK is a waste of time mate. Even in our hottest summers :)
A length of copper pipe will be as good as a chocolate fire guard ;)

Forget the oil cooler and concentrate on making the water side work as best as possible. If this is an MGB V8 conversion then fit the remote oil filter kit and loop the pipe back to the engine instead of an oil cooler.

Save the money you will waste on the oil cooler system and put it towards and ally radiator with a large single fan or smaller twin cooling fans as per the factory MGB V8.

Also insulate the exhaust manifolds and add bonnet vents if you want to stay cool in summer traffic.

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

mgbv8 wrote:
hirot wrote:Hi, I have put a 3.9 rover into my MGB and because of space and something I had read about not needing one in cooler climates, I haven't as yet installed an oil cooler.

Ian

Ian!
The oil cooler on an MGB in the UK is a waste of time mate. Even in our hottest summers :)

Forget the oil cooler and concentrate on making the water side work as best as possible. If this is an MGB V8 conversion then fit the remote oil filter kit and loop the pipe back to the engine instead of an oil cooler.

Save the money you will waste on the oil cooler system and put it towards and ally radiator with a large single fan or smaller twin cooling fans as per the factory MGB V8.

Also insulate the exhaust manifolds and add bonnet vents if you want to stay cool in summer traffic.

Perry
or to put it another way . . . No. :D :lol:
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

kiwicar wrote:
mgbv8 wrote:

Ian

Ian!

Perry
or to put it another way . . . No. :D :lol:
best regards
Mike

Thats what I said !! ;)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

hirot

Post by hirot »

Mike, thanks for the reply.

I already have wrapped the exhausts and have louvres in the bonnet which as far as I can make out makes a huge difference. Down side is my feet get hot when stopped in heavy traffic (need more insulation) and when the fans come on the hot air blows into the car.

I have two high powered 9" puller fans in a shroud which seems to work and keeps the temperature down around normal, which is 85-90 degrees.

As my V8 uses a edelebrock I also understand that I can run a cooler thermostat as the hotter thermostats were used on the EFI engines to help them pass emission controls.

She is however a pig to start when hot and left for 5 minutes+, which I hope will be helped when I put in a thin edelbrock heat gasket. Again I understand that this is most likely caused by too rich a mixture caused by the fuel evaporating and sinking into the manifold plus the air is hot and hence thinner.

Again thanks for saving me the cash and making holes I didn't want.

Ian

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Sounds good.

Have an 82C degree stat fitted and set the fans to come in at 90C.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Return to “Cooling Area”