General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mike-b
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Rover P6 PUMP CUTTING

Post by mike-b »

Hi all ... yet again,
I intend to fit a 16-inch electric fan fully shrouded this time and I am looking for a little more space between rad & pump. As I will not be using a fixed fan any longer ( P6 pump is fixed fan ) I could do with another 20mm better still 30mm. The pump has its pulley bolted to it and will remain in place, however does anyone know if the nose of the pump at the front can be cut off some 20 - 30 mm? Perhaps it could be heated and pulled off altogether?
I want to fit the new electric fan central if possible, I realize fitting it off centre will make little difference but then central fitting will make life a whole lot easier when it comes to fitting with the shroud in place.
Many thanks, mike ( yet again )

Mike B Drives a 1984 Mk2 Granada ghia V8.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I am pretty sure from older threads on here that you can shorten the P6 pully by atleast 10 or 15mm by chopping it off with an angle grinder, cleaning up the pulley and re welding the pully on the shaft stub. I would Tig rather than anything else as it will put less heat into the front of the pump. . . . then you have to get the other pulleys to line up again.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi
Have a look at the pumps from Real Steel as they used to do a very short kit car esq pump for the Rover and I know it works fine because I have one on my motor.
I think it is smaller than the P6 pump by some margin but am willing to be corrected on this.

cheers
P

mike-b
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mike-b »

Hi both, Many thanks for your reply, looks like more cutting to my front panel, its an easier option in my case.

Regards, mike
Mike B Drives a 1984 Mk2 Granada ghia V8.

Return to “Cooling Area”