Custom Sierra rad for Rover V8? Allisport? Radtec?

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

reanimation

Custom Sierra rad for Rover V8? Allisport? Radtec?

Post by reanimation »

I was going to try get a custom one made up cos the one i got from a cooking or v6 model for sizing up has inlet and outlet at opposite sides to where the original Rover set up was, but noticed this week that Cossie ones would fit a lot better as it appears they have inlet and outlet in the same places as the Rover set up.
Noticed on the front page, 'Nick' has a radtec radiator on his Sapphire, so came looking for info.
http://www.v-8.org.uk/sierra/nicksierra.htm

There's so many people offereing Alloy rads for Cossies, its not a bad idea, using expansion bottle off a cossie, i cant imagine it would need to be any more complicated.... ? :? :)

Can anyone advise on this

or advise on good manufacturers? I could do with not spending loads on one, but will if its worth it. :)

Thanks as ever.
Last edited by reanimation on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Here is a radtec one, I think they are smaller on Cossies, not as tall, to make way for the intercooler stuffed in front.

but then that looks tall.

I'm stil investigating this while waiting on some quotes for custom kit

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

I use the Cossie one in my Capri, just chop off the side mounts as its a little to wide.

reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Cheers. :) I don't suppose you have any pictures handy, just been through some of the members cars on here to see how standard SD1 works and how onther have them hooked up.

Theres not a lot of size info available on sites, been looking on Forge and Radtec mainly.

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

Well I fitted a Ali radtech one to my 400SE, same as a classic landrover.
But on the Race car im building. im going to fit a cosworth one also.
As they are half the price. and 95% the same size (slightly smaller if you cut off the brackets). will need some custom hoses and custom brackets, but I'm building the race car cooling system from scratch, so not a problem.

So as long as you don't want an exact replacement then I'd go for it.
Depends on what you have more off time or money.
RadTech will make you a 100% replacement but will cost £400-£500
Cosworth one £150 plus the time and money to make custom brackets and hoses.
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Cheers TVRLeigh, My thinking is that the Radtec cossie off the peg one (£311) will go straight onto side mounts, and top mount can be easily bracketed I reckon. the only downside will be that it sits lower, which might look a bit daft, but it would allow me to fit big headlights, and clear the engine. :idea:

Should be a good product too, well used and aboused on big BHP Cosworths and others such as Micks Chevy 8) and easy to connect if I just get a cosworth style expansion bottle, and filler on pipe I guess.
:?:

Bit of a learning curve TBH. :)

Thanks

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

Well I got a cossi one from ebay, arived today with 2 suck fan's for £195 inc vat and postage.

Will let you know how it goes.
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Thats bloody cheap! :) :shock:

What brand is that? do you have a link or owt?

Sheesh

---

I'm thinking after reading your neighbouoring thread that having the rad low would not be good, as it pumps UP! So submitted a few enquiries, one with Allisport.... wont be cheap though thats for sure

reanimation

Post by reanimation »

Well I'm getting warm, Had a good, and fast reply from the man at Allisport. They deal with Land and range rovers mainly by the look of things, he's estimated that one can be done for about £355 plus vat,

minutes later a reply from Radtec, they could also price me one up if i send them a drawing. now i'm stuck for who to choose, oh and someone to mug! :D

Return to “Cooling Area”