PTFE replacement spherical bearings

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

PTFE replacement spherical bearings

Post by Coops »

anyone know the best place to get some replacement bearings for the spherical bearing top mounts on my struts?

the bearings that are in there seem shite and loose and i think this is one of the factors maybe leading to my steering judder at a said speed,

Im thinking of going for PTFE type spherical bearings, as these seem to be better quality compared to whats in there now,
or is that a bad idea?

sizes:
OD: 42mm
ID: 20mm
Thickness: 16mm

Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Tony, This firm might be worth a try. I've used their products for a steering column mod.

http://www.igus.co.uk/wpck/default.aspx ... er_EGLM_mm

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

PTFE ends are not designed for shock loadings, only for constant gentle load changes, although they will work, they will become loose quite quickly,
The spherical ends are not being used in the designed load direction, they are designed to be pulled and pushed, not side loaded as they are in top mounts, the joints must be in the right way around, some are just pushed together to hold the ball in position, load them up the wrong way around and they can hammer themselves apart, showing up as wear, but is actually the joint coming apart,
Ideally taper bearings like the ones used in front hubs are what should be used, but are expensive to make work, but ford did use taper rollerer bearings in Mk1 Zephyrs and consuls
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

well i cant afford to replace the top mounts as these cost enough last year :-( from Rall Des.
the bearing didnt feel that tight from day one of fitting them,
so wanted to replace these only if poss to make sure these were eliminated from the slight steering judder we are getting.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”