MGB front poly bushes

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

MGB front poly bushes

Post by 3xpendable »

Do people here who have MGB's use the standard rubber spacer for the crossmember or use polybush ones? I'm putting polybushes on my car but am concerned that harder bushes on the crossmember will transfer too much NVH into the car.

Many thanks

1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

Welshie
I have in the past used the Red competition pads but have now hard mounted the crossmember using ally spacers.

Mark

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
If I may offer some thoughts on this in general terms, your MGBs are more than 30 years old, sorry but it is true. all steels work harden with age, and automotive grade steels are notorious for it. If it were me I would not be inclined to put additional vibration into the shell without carfully considering the effect it may have on the panels, by all means put hard bushes in there or even replace them with ally spacers, but remember unless you find a way of supporting the old metal and feeding the loads into the pannels properly you are you will develope cracks in the pannels at bolt holes and panel joints. The panels generally will not have the impact strength they left the factory with just because they are old, and more vibration will only make things worse.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

Mike
You have a relevant point there. Luckily the MGB was over engineerd and the strength of the chassis legs and mountings is ' belt & braces'
I have been seriously abusing my MGB for over 10 years now with hard bushes everywhere and not had a problem yet. Have now fitted a Full Roll cage so hopefully this will stiffen things up even more.

Mark

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”