Brake upgrade for the back of my TVR Griffith.

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Brake upgrade for the back of my TVR Griffith.

Post by dnb »

I am sick of the handbrake on my TVR now. It simply doesn't work properly. It never has worked well using my Impreza as a benchmark, so repairing the standard components doesn't seem the best solution to me.

It uses Ford Granada calipers and discs (276mm vented if memory serves). The hydraulic elements are in good order and the car is balanced so I don't want to upset this with any upgrade, but it would be nice to have a working handbrake!

I have looked at the innards of a granada caliper, and the mechanism looks to me like it is prone to wearing such that it ends up with loads of free play and loss of leverage, making the handbrake ever more difficult to apply. This is not helped by the location of the TVR handbrake lever.

I have looked briefly at the aftermarket brakes available and there don't seem to be many solutions a sane person would consider. (Please don't suggest the maker that sounds like a pair of trainers, I don't want to get into that argument again). My preference for upgrades that use consumables is to go for something from the parts bin of a major manufacturer.

So which one? Renault use a Brembo sliding caliper with what looks to be a nicer mechanism, but has anyone any experience? I think it is fitted to Lotus Elises, possibly Esprits too? Could they be persuaded to fit my existing discs or something else of similar size from the Ford parts bin?
Any more ideas for calipers?

Thanks all!

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

hi mate,
my cappa uses granada calips on the rear with same size discs as you and is spot on,
try giving CSR a mail as he is the man on here that did my brakes, and i know he has worked on a couple of TVR brakes,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

thev8kid wrote:hi mate,
my cappa uses granada calips on the rear with same size discs as you and is spot on,
try giving CSR a mail as he is the man on here that did my brakes, and i know he has worked on a couple of TVR brakes,
Phew. I'm intending using those on the rear of my SD1 and have already bought a reconditioned Sierra Cosworth pair - which I think are the same. And didn't fancy the frying pan and fire thingie. ;-) Although my drum handbrake is ok - it's the self adjusters I want rid of.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

What a handbrake???????, every year my car gets an advisory on handbrake, either they wont adjust or have seized, and guess what they are, Granada, the car is coming apart this winter for a new engine, so it makes sense to have a look at VW/Audi, they look like an option, they are alloy too, also in their favour, performance pads are easy to get,
Last edited by ian.stewart on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

have no probs getting performance pads for mine either Ian :D

but after testing loads, the best ones i have found so far are the ebc greenstuff pads,
the red and yellow work very well but eat the discs like mad, :cry:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

I love my greenstuff, I only use them on thr front, and Halfrauds cheap n cheerful on the back, Im seriously thinking about dumping my Bembros as well, I have a pair if Nascar magnesium wilwoods these have a better piston size
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

im sticking with my Brembo's :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Ian, I cant count the number of VW rear callipers I have replaced for people due to the hand brake going US. The only good thing is they are cheap and easy to get. They either seize or wear so really no better or worse than the ford offerings.

V8Smudge
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by V8Smudge »

katanaman wrote:Ian, I cant count the number of VW rear callipers I have replaced for people due to the hand brake going US. The only good thing is they are cheap and easy to get. They either seize or wear so really no better or worse than the ford offerings.
I totally agree, I've got a few mates with VAG cars, all of them have had issues with the handbrake mechanism seizing up in the calipers!
Land Rover SIIA 88" fitted with a 180BHP V8
Some is good, more is better, and too much is just enough!!

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

I am slowly coming to the conclusion (very unwillingly) that the best handbrakes are based on the principle of a drum brake inside the rear disc like my Impreza has.

This is not going to be easy to fit on the TVR.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

If it gives you more options Mercs have disk with drum handbrake.

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

It might... Something that uses Ford PCD and is RWD or 4WD (so there are no driveshaft issues) would be the major thing. Mercs have at least one of these covered, but I thought they were 5 stud?

Not completely sure the hub assembly can be modified to have drums as well as discs yet, so would prefer to exhaust the caliper options first.

We've ruled out VW and Ford. Anything bad about Renault's offering? I just found out they are made by Brembo, so can they be that bad?

I can't help thinking lots of people are looking for a solution to this...

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

dnb wrote:It might... Something that uses Ford PCD and is RWD or 4WD (so there are no driveshaft issues) would be the major thing. Mercs have at least one of these covered, but I thought they were 5 stud?

Not completely sure the hub assembly can be modified to have drums as well as discs yet, so would prefer to exhaust the caliper options first.

We've ruled out VW and Ford. Anything bad about Renault's offering? I just found out they are made by Brembo, so can they be that bad?

I can't help thinking lots of people are looking for a solution to this...
Given changing the calliper type is likely to be a deal of work, are you absolutely certain the existing setup is working as it should?

That's based on many saying the SD1 handbrake is poor - which it is when things are seized or out of adjustment. When to spec it's pretty good. I assume the calliper mechanism can be stripped and checked?
Handbrake cables usually have an anti-friction lining which can wear through.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

Cable and lever are virtually new. The calipers themselves look to be slightly worn, but new ones probably wouldn't take long to wear to the same level.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

OK a quick look shows early Porsche as the same PCD. Pretty sure the 928 had disk and drum. Only trouble is its all going back in time.
Friend has a Megan with disks on the back, daily driver with 100,000 miles on and the callipers have never been touched barring new pads. Not to say that makes them reliable as its just one experience. Loads of people find the Ford callipers reliable. My Focus with disks has 90,000 and I haven't even replaced the pads yet never mind messed with the handbrake. No idea who makes the Renault ones but even if it is Brembo it will be part of their OEM range and nothing special. Other thing is the Megan is solid disks not vented. I dont know what the TVR is.

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”