Brake upgrade for the back of my TVR Griffith.

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Some Citroens have the handbrake on the front wheels, not that this is relevant to the subject but I thought I would throw it in :lol:

THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Cable and lever are virtually new. The calipers themselves look to be slightly worn, but new ones probably wouldn't take long to wear to the same level.
I think it would be impossible to tell in the mech is seizing or stiff just from looking at the outside of the caliper.

You can get caliper repair kits and although a pain to fit (I re-build my ford cosworth rear calipers) would be much easyier and cheaper than re designing it to use different calipers/ drum.

Incidently several mates also have handbrake shoes inside rear discs for their handbrake and they think ther're rubbish.

Before spending money I would 100% check your discs and pads? also slide pins like to sieze and then the caliper mech as well.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

I have taken the calipers apart in the recent past, and seen other calipers of similar vintage. Wear looks about the same on both sets and the hydraulic parts look to be ok.

Where did you get the rebuild kit? All the ones I have seen are just seals, not the handbrake mechanism itself.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

SuperV8 wrote:
[snip]
Incidently several mates also have handbrake shoes inside rear discs for their handbrake and they think ther're rubbish.

Tom.
I've had 3 BMWs with this handbrake, and I'd not describe it as good either. You can pull it on hard with the car coasting at say 10 mph and think it's not working. Does hold ok on a hill, though. But no use for handbrake turns. ;-)
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Can you test the caliper mech to see if it feels free with only the spring pressure resisting it? Should be able to just about move the lever by hand.

I doubt you would find the "metal" parts to the hand brake mech. Just the rubber parts.

Depends how bad they are but just a build up of crud on the mech is enough to reduce the efficiency. It's often enough to clean the parts and re-assemble with new seals.

It is a bugger of a job though and will need some long circlip pliers to remove the circlip right at the bottom inside the caliper.

FYI the rebuild kit is the same for vented and none vented type rear calipers.

Would be much easier if the the mech is stiff to get re-man calipers although choose the source carefully!

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I had a Saab 900, the old skip shaped one, bought it at 83K sold it at a little over 270K (it ran for a couple of years after that). The handbrake was good and the self ajusters worked all the time I had it, I replaced the seals once because the sealing boots looked perished, but otherwise they worked, I copper slipped the carriers when I changed the pads and cleaned them up with wire brush, but they worked fine. If you go for this set up you want the ones off the front!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

V8Smudge
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by V8Smudge »

ian.stewart wrote:Some Citroens have the handbrake on the front wheels, not that this is relevant to the subject but I thought I would throw it in :lol:
Sticking to being irrevelant, all Citroens with Hydro-Pneumatic suspension had the handbrake on the front wheels (no fun in the snow!).

Saying that when I worked as a Citroen Consultant Technician, we never had any real problems with the rear disc handbrake set ups on the other cars, and 4 stud PSA (Citroen/Peugeot) stuff is the same 108 PCD as 4 stud Fords.
Land Rover SIIA 88" fitted with a 180BHP V8
Some is good, more is better, and too much is just enough!!

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”