General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Busted Brakes on the Manta V8

Post by stagcar »

Hi All,

As some of you know my manta passed its MOT the other day with out any big problems but the brakes died on the way home

It looks like the master cylender isstuffed

I have got a peddle box to bolt in but i am unsure of the ideal cylender size

At the moment it has 4 pot calipers on the front and a 9" back ford back end still with the big old drums

The peddle box has got a bias bar so i should be able to get a bit of adjustment there

Has any one got any idea of the best setup?

I would just get a seal kit for the manta master but nobody seems to do them and the ones i have got are the wrong size. also not having a servo will make a bit more room under the hood

:D

Thanks again
Derek

:D

Rust rust and more rust

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If your brakes were working fine before, and pedal felt ok...I'd just keep the master the same size.

It might be as handy just to fit a master/servo from another car.

What does the existing setup look like ? how much room ?

I fitted a Subaru master and servo to mine, was pretty easy really. And the servo was smaller in diameter too, which helped a little with room.
Wouldnt particularly like a setup without a servo

Although the Ford Sierra electric assisted hydraulic setup can also work very well.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

stevieturbo wrote:If your brakes were working fine before, and pedal felt ok...I'd just keep the master the same size.

It might be as handy just to fit a master/servo from another car.

What does the existing setup look like ? how much room ?

I fitted a Subaru master and servo to mine, was pretty easy really. And the servo was smaller in diameter too, which helped a little with room.
Wouldnt particularly like a setup without a servo

Although the Ford Sierra electric assisted hydraulic setup can also work very well.
Nice one stevieturbo

I have just had my mate take some mesurments from his scooby servo and master and it is about a center meter smaller in diameter and is shorter from mount to the end of the master plus the best jbit is you can get the hole shabang for £20 :D

Looks like this will be the way to go

the one he has got has 2 outlets so will split off one to go to both front brakes and the other will go through a bias adjuster to the back brakes does this sound ok to you? or is there more to it than that?

Many thanks
Derek :D
Rust rust and more rust

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

That's pretty much what I did.

Servo is a simple 4 bolt mount affair, and just adapt the actuating rod to meet with your existing one.

Parts like that are always cheap, as on modern cars they never go wrong, so who on earth wants them ?

If you were looking an original part or master, you'd likely pay a fortune for old poor quality parts that will likely fail soon.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

stevieturbo wrote:That's pretty much what I did.

Servo is a simple 4 bolt mount affair, and just adapt the actuating rod to meet with your existing one.

Parts like that are always cheap, as on modern cars they never go wrong, so who on earth wants them ?

If you were looking an original part or master, you'd likely pay a fortune for old poor quality parts that will likely fail soon.
Very true

I will get one and make it fit then

Many thanks
Derek
Rust rust and more rust

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”