Brake upgrade on the V8Mx5

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

topcatproduction wrote:Hairbear they look frickin awesome 8)

What are the advantages of grooves? Obviously holes actually let air move a bit and I guess there is a small weight saving, grooves look like cutting edges to the pads! I recon I will go with decent quality mintex or maybe EBC road pads, just for peace of mind over dirt cheap chinese pads.

Definately AVOID chinese pads. A lot of aftermarket parts are made in china now and some of it is ok but two areas to avoid are brake pads and bushes/control arms etc (basically anything with rubber in it)

The discs in the picture are ATE power discs. ATE are the OE supplier to most of the German automakers and are part of the continental group. The ATE stuff is of very good quality and made in Germany.

Edit. Some ATE discs are made in spain and Italy but all are made in EC.
Last edited by HairbearTE on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

The groves are there to 1 knock off dust and allow it somewhere to escape, and 2nd, to allow gas from hot pads to escape, this is more important, there are 2 basic types of brake fade, When the flud boils, and gaseous fade where the pads get hot enough to "fume", it comes off the working surface, and will impair the ability of the friction material.
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

adarmo

Post by adarmo »

Probably a bit late...

But you can upgrade further to Mk2.5 Sport brakes or further still to Hi Spec or Goodwin kits.

I regularly sell MX5 parts and upgrades so if you need anything send me a PM.

Oh and Yellow Stuffs are the pad of choice at the minute.

JJMclure
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JJMclure »

WHat brake lines are you using? If you aren't already what about braided steel lines?

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Didnt see the last 2 replies, I was intending on buying this set http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
Standard (bigger) discs and mintex pads, seems like a nice upgrade. Adarmo if you see this and have a similar kit feel free to send me a pm with a price!
TC

adarmo

Post by adarmo »

I don't really sell new std stuff.

I have got a complete set of used Sport brakes in which have larger discs AND larger front calipers.

£345

Its what I run on my 210bhp 5.

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”