Shockies recommendations

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Dangerdoc

Shockies recommendations

Post by Dangerdoc »

Hellooooooo everyone.

Range Rover Classic 1987 3.5EFi with a +2" lift. Uprated heavy duty springs on front and rear done by Frogs Island 4x4 some time back (Jun 2002).

Now - wanted to replace the turrets and also the retainer springs which are under the welded on bracket for retaining the top of the string.

The shockies were Old Man Emu N45F type. Excellent for the work the vehicle was undertaking (towing a rescue boat and fast driving). Corners dead level and very nice on runs however:

The ends of the shocks are bushed with a central tang rather than round with a through bolt. Thats fne, top end came off a treat. The bottom bolt was a total nightmare - access is OK but ...... there is only a small flattened area to put a spanner onto and then a 19mm spanner is needed to undo the lock nut. Not a hope in stans den. Eventually after several bruises, a large range of choice expletives and several bottles of penetrant spray (only the penetrant spray shall pass - or is that similar to some strange religious blurb, aham back to topic), I decided to hacksaw the flaming bolt off.

Did this a treat, only took about 20 mins to hacksaw through the thing.

Now - going to replace the shocks on both sides (requiring more hacksawing of the nearside bold also) and don't want to use Old Man Emu shocks again for the reasons above.

Do any of you wizards out there know of a heavy duty shock, compatable with my vehicle with a +2" lift and better arrangement for removal as required rather than a crappy little flattened end.

Over to the forum for a slating, ahem, constructive feedback...

As ever - grateful to you all for the advice and skill...

Doc

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Doc, we just put a pair of stilsons on the shock to hold it rather than using the 8mm flat on the end or whatever it is. If you put them at the end of the body you won't crush or bend the tube as it is rigid- seized nuts are normal but loads of penetrating spray and back n forth with the spanner normally gets them off fine. Copper grease the threads when you put them back on!

TC

Dangerdoc

Shockies

Post by Dangerdoc »

Hey TC

Grateful. I did try and hold the cylinder as that crappy 8mm flat is useless. Sadly I did not have a big enough tool to hold it firmly, hmmm, so to speak ! :oops:

Still looking for recommendations to alternative shockies with consideration to the +50mm lift.

Always will try and go on peoples recommendations rather than marketing hype from now on. Especially with the wealth of experience on this brilliant forum.
:D
Doc

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”