Servo vacuum pipe

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Servo vacuum pipe

Post by topcatcustom »

I am going to leave my brake servo on as I havent had to touch the brakes so far and as it aint broke I dont wanna fix it! With regards to the vacuum feed for the servo, taking it from my inlet manifold underneath the blower will I be safe using the 1 way valve out of a trumpet base? That way when I go into boost there will be no pressure going up the pipe to the servo but under normal running conditions the valve will be open thus pulling a vacuum yes?

Also I'm pretty sure I won't need to brake whilst on boost- and if I do by the time I have taken my foot off the gas onto the brake pedal the manifold will probably be seeing a vacuum again anyway! This is the valve I have:

TC

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

you could faily simply rig up a vacuum resevoir (say 2 to 3 litres) which would give you a the breaks the instant you hit them.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

You mean just a sealed catch tank type thing in line? Not a bad idea- so long as it doesn't take too long to "charge"!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

look out one from a diesel car, or use a suitable stiff can, a larger "sig" bottle, or similar.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Mike, I saw on the Summit web site that they and Moroso make them- I was a bit dubious but if they make them then they must work!

I am going to use the 1 way valve I pictured before into the tank as you suggested. That way I get away without the vacuum pump alternator, and will run a completely seperate electric vac pump for my crankcase evac system as per my topic in the 'engines' section.

Thanks, Tom.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

If you want you can fit a transit diesel alternator, there others, they have a vacuum pump built it /fitted to the back, may be a soloution.
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Yes Vauxhall tdi ones have the pump too, but not sure how much room I will have behind the alternator before the exhaust manifold! Maybe I'm just best to wait until I do the first fit of the engine then I can see how much room I have to put either a vacuum reservoir in or a vac alternator!

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”