Brake bias valve

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Paul V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Brake bias valve

Post by Paul V8 »

Does anyone use an adjustable brake bias valve? which should i use and where can i get one? i'm fitting a rear disc set up to the rear of a triumph TR7.

Thanks.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

My MG has a wierd set up for the bias valve. There is a dial in the cockpit which runs to an adjustable bar in the pedal box. I have two Wilwood master cylinders, of different sizes (one for front, one for rear), which are fed by a common alloy brake fluid reservoir.

It was already on the car when i bought it, but I can sort you a few pics out later if you like? Can even supply the part numbers i think as half of it is dismantled at the moment lol

kstrutt1
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by kstrutt1 »

You should already have a pressure limiting valve fitted to the RH turret, I have been told these are adjustable but have never tried it myself. If you have equally uprated the fronts, this may be enough.

Kevin (Tr7V8)
Kevin S

Paul V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Paul V8 »

I've just ordered a wilwood adjustable valve. The car did have a valve but i didnt feel my brakes were very good, i have AP front calipers withh 300mm discs and sierra cosworth rear calipers with 253mm discs. Also re plumbing the pipes. fingers crossed.

kstrutt1
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by kstrutt1 »

Personally I doubt if the valve will have big effect as with the rear of the TR7 being so light most of the braking should be on the front anyway, (the standard valve only limits the rear and be very carefull with setting the new valve as rear wheel lock up is pretty frightening). If the brakes work well when presssed firmly then you need to fit a larger servo or different pads many peole have fitted SD1 servo's in the past, I have also had great results with Greenstuff pads.(it they work bettter after repeated applications then it is almost certainly the pads).

Kevin
Kevin S

Paul V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Paul V8 »

I already have a larger master cylinder and servo, which did help. I have used greenstuff pads but managed to cook them. I just feel as if i havent got any bite from the brakes and it doesnt scrub speed off. The rear disc convertion helped, now just wants fine tuning.

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”