Track control Arm

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Chorlton
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Track control Arm

Post by Chorlton »

Starting to go round the car now and sort things out before I bung the body on. I bought a 'rolling' project but with a few problems.
One of these I found today.
The Running gear is Sierra with an RV8 and LT 77 Box.
Now the off side Track control arm is fine. Bolt from the ball joint comes up high enough to get the Nyloc nut full on with the required 2 threads clear for MOT and SVA
Now the nearside ball joint bolt on the track control arm doesnt come through sufficiently to show the 2 clear threads yet the offside has well over 1/4 inch.

Do they make Sierra Track Control arms with differing ball joint bolt lengths ??

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

To my knowledge there are two different versions but they are very different. One had a taper fit ball joint and was on the older Sierras, the other had a straight shaft and pinch bolt which belonged to the Cosworth and the 4x4 versions. I would check the taper of the bottom of the hub in case something is stuck in. Measure the two sides off each other as well. There are a few Fords with very similar TCA's and its not impossible for someone to have got the wrong one but still nearly fit together.

Chorlton
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Chorlton »

Thanks for that. Its something I only just noticed yesterday as I have been working on getting the body tub sorted and ready to paint so decided to work round the car checking all the Nuts & Bolts.

On the surface both TCA's look identical (apart fromthe bolt length) so Ill have to pull them off and check as you suggest.

Considering there is a lot of adverse camber on the wheels too, with no way of rectifying it I might replace them with adjustables whilst Im at it.

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”