Brake bias valves

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

The Original Tom
Getting There
Getting There

Brake bias valves

Post by The Original Tom »

I' hopefully about to fit a disc-braked rear axle to my 90, to replace the crappy drum axle that's there now.
I'll need a bias valve otherwise the rear will lock up!
Any ideas about which is a good one to use? I've heard there's a small one that Ford do that I could fit.
I'm talking scrappy budget here not new item, so any ideas on which vehicles I can nick one off would be welcome.
I've no real need for an adjustable one as it's no race car.

Rover 3.5 V8 landy - Completely rebuilt and purring... Now awaiting a good tune!!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Citreon C15 van is a weight sensing one. It connects to the body and to the axle via a threaded rod so you should be able to set it up just the way you want it. Should also be loads of them available and cheap.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi tom,
is your 90 perminant 4 wheel drive with a viscous diff like the range rover? Just if it is then the viscous diff will stop you locking the rear breaks early. never managed anything but 4 wheel lock ups my first range rover even with a ton and a half of unbreaked trailer on it. (couldn't lock up the second one because of the fancy suspension/ break managment system on it!).
Mike
poppet valves rule!

The Original Tom
Getting There
Getting There

Kiwicar - Nope, sadly it's an open/lock diff not a Borg-Warner like the rangey.
Katanaman - I will have a look , try to track down a local scrappy with one in!
Rover 3.5 V8 landy - Completely rebuilt and purring... Now awaiting a good tune!!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Tom
Many of the seven kit car replica makers do cheep double master cylinder plus ballance bar pedal set ups that take cheep scrappy sourced master cylinders (robin hood engineering, MK engineering, SSC) should be plenty of room under the bonnet even with a V8 in there. Though the C15 set up sounds a good way to go.
Best of luck
Mike
poppet valves rule!

The Original Tom
Getting There
Getting There

To be honest I'm not that worried about having it variable, and changing to a twin master system seems like making a mountain out of a mole-hill especially as my current master is in GWO. Maybe when it fails I'll look at that idea - mainly because I'd like fiddle brakes too 8-)

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”