Genuine panels vs pattern parts

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Genuine panels vs pattern parts

Post by topcatcustom »

Ok, obviously the genuine parts have to be best (on modern cars anyway), I need a couple of bits and just wondering what the quality of new pattern panels is like compared to the genuine ones? It's just they are literally a quarter of the price... (by the way the car aint that old so the dies in the press that makes the panels must be fairly new!)

TC

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I am thinking this is a newer car? Anyway I got a pattern wing for my Focus and it was a perfect fit. For old cars though I have to say pattern panels were never very close and usually needed a fair bit work.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Well 1 is the V8 mx5, the other I am fixing is an 06 polo, £21 for pattern wings and £90 for genuine! Not sure about the mazda yet but think it needs a new wing as well, it is a 1990 car...

v8trev
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8trev »

Can honestly say I've never had any insurmountable problems fitting mass produced pattern parts. However, I once had some pattern floor panels for a Hillman Hunter and they were just a basic pressing with some of the strengthening ribs of the original panel missing so whilst they fitted and did the job they weren't as strong as the original parts.

Pattern parts for older car are often made of thinner gauge steel than the original panels so that is something else to consider.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
With the Mazda I would go pattern, purly for the reason that Japanese steels tend to be higher in carbon and sulphur and therefor prone to be hard and brittle, If you do have to "adjust" them to fit you will find it easier with a european originated steel. With the Polo I would guess they probably both come from the same production line, just with a different lable on them, as an '06 car there would be no reason to make a new set of dies for pressing them yet, the original production line ones won't be worn out yet.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

eurocarparts is your place for a good wing as Kiwicar said itd probably original anyway but at a lot less.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

kiwicar wrote: as an '06 car there would be no reason to make a new set of dies for pressing them yet, the original production line ones won't be worn out yet.
Mike
I meant that the dies produced to make the pattern panels cant be any older than 4 years so the quality must be better than those made 20 years ago! I think I will try pattern parts for now, if not satisfied I can just pop them on ebay and accept a few quid loss, bit of a gamble but a big (for me) potential saving!

TC

Return to “Body & Strengthening”