suside doors

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

alangarde

suside doors

Post by alangarde »

hi all, my name is alan i am from the uk and i am building a 1941 willys coupe it is a one o tublar chassie and fiber glass body witha ford 460 V8 in it 9" rear end will try get some pics on here soon. i am having a bit off trouble with the doors i want to do them suside doors, if the is any one out there that has them or know how to do them please help pics, info, drawings etc my email is alangarde@hotmail.com if it is easer to send bits there thanks to any1 that can help
alan

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Have a look at the rear door on the Mazda RX8

I believe there has to be a mechanism in place that will stop it being opened when the car is in motion.

If this is the case you will need to comply with the SVA requirements or IVA after March next year.

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

I would doubt if suicide doors would be sva compliant, but i'm not sure? if ur going for sva, get the book .... oh hang on it's all going to change and be called something else anyway have a look here
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Bu ... G_10018282
Willys build up here
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal ... ction=view
and some usefull info as always here
http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/index.php
So thats where it went !

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

Suicide doors work exactly the same as ordinary doors, just the other way round. To get through SVA you need an electric solenoid type device so they can't be opened when the car is moving. I guess something rigged to the ignition, so they are locked when the motor is running, would do the trick, though you'd need to check the latest and greatest SVA version.

I had them on my last car, but only because it came with them. I can see no real reason to have them.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Or look at a Black Cab
They have Suicide doors on the back and they also have solenoids that click on to stop them being opened as soon as you are moving

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “Body & Strengthening”