Removing the bonnet bulge on a Triumph Stag

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

russ spake

Removing the bonnet bulge on a Triumph Stag

Post by russ spake »

Hi, I have a Stag Mk1 with a late P6 V8 ('74/'75) fitted. It was fitted with a bonnet bulge and I'd like to restore the orginal lines of the car with a replacement bonnet. Anyone know what modification/kit I need to buy to lower the height of the filters/carbs to ensure they clear the new bonnet? Thanks. Russ

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

You can use the MGB 'trouser' manifold off their V8s to allow the normal bonnet to fit but it's terrible for performance.

I would have thought the way forward is a Holley 4 barrel and appropriate manifold/filter as these tend to have quite a low profile?

I'm not sure there's anyway to lower the existing twin SUs (which I assume is what it has), barring lowering the engine itself :?:

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

You can have the dashpot tops and dampers shortened. However, Im not sure how useful this will be to you. It depends alot on how much clearance you need to generate.

what about a webber 500 with an offy 360 manifold?
I know this is the route I will go with my MGB V8 conversion
Image -JC.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

The MGB trousers manifold is as rare as hens teeth for an original. I have seen a few home made ones on ebay which would do.
I have the Weber / offy 360 low profile manifold on mine with the 14" pancake filter. This clears a standard MGB bonnet. Only just though.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Anyone got a photo of the trouser manifold? - ive never heard of it and would like to add it to my manifold archive page.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Return to “Body & Strengthening”