Drivers seat removal

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bbutc

Drivers seat removal

Post by bbutc »

Anyone know how the seats are fixed down?

I've undone 8 M6s and 2 M8s under the car which look like they might be holding the drivers seat frame down, but although the seat now rocks a tiny amount its still not going anywhere? Photos here >

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsRQ3YcdckUvhHx3uNj ... a?e=vGsJp3

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsRQ3YcdckUvhH3hOFg ... e?e=ha80QS

Also looks like the whole seat assembly is on a raised platform compared to the floor, which isn't a a good sign, and there is zero adjustment or movement on the seat itself.

Any information gratefully received.

bbutc

Re: Drivers seat removal

Post by bbutc »

I've now drilled out the 4 studs underneath at the front of the seat and physically removed the 4 M6 bolts at the back of the seat. I can now look down from above an see the M6 holes at the back - so the seat frame is sitting directly on the floor at the back anyway, I think the slightly raised surface in front of the seat is just an extra thick piece of carpeting.

I mean, the seats must have gone in after the carpets because they are sitting on top of them but the drivers seat still wont still wont budge. It's like the seat frame is welded to the body frame - but that can't be possible?

I'm a bit stumped on this one at the moment.

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

What car is it?

bbutc

Post by bbutc »

Sorry, 2012 DAX Rush V8. It's booked into the garage now anyway - they can sort it out. It's probably just me being stupid - I'll let you know what they find.

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Oh, should have said it was a Dax Rush. May have been best to ask this question on the Dax Forum https://forum.daxsportingclub.com/phpBB ... 027c9bb487

Anyway the fixing is very simple in a Rush but it is up to oneself to design you own fixing. There are two angle iron cross members where Dax themselves simply bolt through the floor. In my case I made up a sub-frame to which the seat bolts to and then the sub-frame attaches to these cross memberss. The front of the seat bolt horizontally via a tapped bolt hole in the vertical bit of the angle iron and the rear bolts vertically again via a tapped hole in the angle iron cross member's horizontal face.

You would normally only have four bolts holding the seat in. I'm surprised the carpet is bolted through as normall one simply tucks the carpet under the front of the seat touching the front cross member. I probably have more photos if you need them. You do not bolt the rear of the reat into te rea bulkhead.
DSCN1050.JPG
What seats do you have?

HTH

Richard.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Just looked at you photos again so I see the seats. Can only be bolted up from underneath into the cross members or directly into the seat bottom.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

If the holes aren't perfectly lined up - it may have been bolted up with some help from gravity!
If the nuts/bolts are out - I would try a bit more force.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

bbutc

Post by bbutc »

I took the car to a local garage and they couldn't figure out how to remove the seat either - they recommended taking it back to the guy who built it. :shock:

Anyway, I perceived and after digging around in the the only place I could, in the gap between the base and the upright section, I spotted what appeared to be a metal hook going through a hole in each lower corner - so out of desperation I cut through both of them, which was very difficult due to the lack of space and light. - And the seat came right out. :D

I've still no idea how the seat was originally fitted though as it basically locks into the floor and can't move forwards or backwards, but I don't care anymore as it's out now and I've already started to fit the new runners. I've removed many seats from many 'normal' cars before but I've never seen anything like this - the joys of kit-car ownership I suppose. :?

Thanks for the comments.

Return to “Body & Strengthening”