New here

Please introduce yourself to everyone and say hi :-)

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

101sean

New here

Post by 101sean »

Hi

New here but am on many Land Rover forums and the 101 club forum. Had a 101 for 13 years, been living in Ireland for the last four years.

Been doing a lot of reading of posts here after the 101's V8 decided to eat it's camshaft and rocker gear! :shock:

There's no demand for V8s here so they are worthless, was given a 3.5efi with low mileage but the bores were full of water, anything else I've looked at was scrap either through neglect or being badly stored :roll:

Getting fed up with the typical " why don't you put a diesel in it" and probably going to get a block or short engine off V8 Tuner and put the good Efi heads on it.

Sean
73FL74 Land Rover 101 GS

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Sounds like a good plan!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

"Getting fed up with the typical " why don't you put a diesel in it" and probably going to get a block or short engine off V8 Tuner and put the good Efi heads on it."

In that case how about "why not put a Small block chevy in it", nice long stroke crank, 3.75" for 383 or even 3.875 for 396ci make it really go, gear it up a bit by sticking a t5/6 box on the back and an adaptor into the transfer case, I can see the canves flapping in the wind now :twisted: :twisted: :lol: if that ain't quick enough for you you could turbo it, just don't LPG it!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

101sean

Post by 101sean »

Hi Mike, thanks for the suggestion! Don't think anyone has done that to a 101 yet, most conversions are diseasels :roll:

You can make the canvas flap in a standard 101, they are very low geared (5.57:1 diffs) and well under 2t empty, very rapid take off but screaming it's nuts off at 70

Things have moved on a bit, now keeping my block, the only thing wrong with it was the camshaft bearings and since reading the forum I've chopped up an old camshaft and drilled and trued up the bits in the lathe to help replace them.

Should have had the engine rebuilt this weekend but didn't realise until this morning that I'd forgotten to include piston rings in my order! :oops:
Sean
73FL74 Land Rover 101 GS

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I presume you have pulled the restrictors out the inlet manifold? changing the cam for almost anyother Rover cam will improve things aswell (probably a 3.9 efi cam would be a good one) upping the CR would also be a good idea, and piston rings. . . :D. Still think you should stick a chevy in it, but I think that of a lot of cars. Come on stick some pictures up I have a thing about 101s :drool
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

101sean

Post by 101sean »

No restrictors in 101 manifolds, you got the full 134bhp available at the time, fully laden and towing 105mm light gun is over 5 tonne (and all on drum brakes :shock: )

I'm putting a 3.9efi cam along with all new bearings and rings (when they turn up!) and later heads, timing cover and dizzy but it's otherwise staying the same LC block.

I run standard gearing but have an overdrive fitted, happy cruising is 55 -60 but it will do a very scary 80mph.

Here's a pic of it when it was running, I'll put one up later of it stripped plus one of a the proper engine crane I'm using :wink:

Sean
73FL74 Land Rover 101 GS

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Now that is cute, though you seem to be missing the 105mm off the back!
Mike
poppet valves rule!

101sean

Post by 101sean »

I have tried and failed to borrow one, they seem strangely reluctant to loan them out :?
Sean
73FL74 Land Rover 101 GS

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
they doo seem a little reluctant to let them go. . . a chap I knew had one, but that was on a worrior chassis, had it with a 2" smoothe bore 28 inch insert up the barrel, let him fire duck gun cartriges at shows, with it on a shot gun licence. I suppose he could hardly walk into the post office with it!
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Please Tell Us About Yourself”