Newbie from London

Please introduce yourself to everyone and say hi :-)

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bruvvamoff

Newbie from London

Post by bruvvamoff »

Hi all.

Total newbie here. I have access to some V8 stuff and I was hoping to use the forum to get some advice on building a V8 as a hobby in my spare time.
EDIT: I should be honest and say I'm also here to sell a few bits and bobs. :)
Last edited by bruvvamoff on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hello
that about sums up what goes on around here, any particular V8 you have in mind?
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

bruvvamoff

Post by bruvvamoff »

kiwicar wrote:Hello
that about sums up what goes on around here, any particular V8 you have in mind?
best regards
Mike
Which V8, not sure. Whatever one which is easiest to get parts for would probably be a good start.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
around here the rover v8 is about the most popular, mainly because they are about the most common in the UK, if you wand a stock or near stock rebuild (a simple blue print and port job for instance) then they are also about the cheapest to do. Want anything more however and they very quickly get expensive as what tuning parts there are are made in very small quantities.
If you know how ebay works then the small block chevy engine is are a good choice, even after shipping and import charges forged pistons are about half the price of the rover cylinder heads about the same, good quality connecting rods about a third, a forged crank is about a quarter of the cost of a rover equivalent. Gaskets are about 50% more than rover if you buy them from the UK about 30% less if you import them yourself. The 289/302W/351W small block ford engines are about 20% more cost wise as the chevy for equivalent parts but will make about 5% more power for a given state of tune. Chevy LS engines are more initial outlay than these but you do not need to spend anything like as much on tuning parts to make very good power.
However why not build something interesting? The Big block chevy is a superb basis for a very rapid engine and at the moment things like cylinder heads are cheeper than the small block, there are some very good deals on forged pistons as well, a crank however will always be expensive to ship. The big Cadillac motors, especially the 500ci ones are absolute torque monsters, and using chevy big block rods can be stroked to quit huge capacities. The Pontiac engines are basically better engineered versions of the chevy, Buick 455 engines are light (for a big block) and will make good power with the right heads.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Please Tell Us About Yourself”