New Member in Newark (On Trent, not New Jersey)

Please introduce yourself to everyone and say hi :-)

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Marty

New Member in Newark (On Trent, not New Jersey)

Post by Marty »

I bought myself an old Rover SD1 motor and want to make it run on a stand, no car involved. There are a few bits missing so I'll be asking questions about what goes where and whether bits from other models will work well enough. There's no timescale, it's just something to keep me amused in the evenings for little money.

When it's running I'll take it to bits and rebuild where necessary and make it look nice. Might have to sell my Moto Guzzi V50 Monza to fund it.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Welcome!

Pretty straightforward - I did it for a 3.5 EFi V8 to test it before putting it in a vehicle.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Marty

Post by Marty »

Marty

Post by Marty »

I've been messing with ignition timing for a while since it has been lost. Followed instructions elsewhere in the forum with no luck.

Yesterday I went back to basics. I already was happy the indicators for TDC are correct, set crankshaft at 12 degrees before TDC (no idea why Haynes asks for 6 degrees), check Number 1 was on compression with a finger over the plug hole, kept moving the distributor a tooth at a time on the camshaft until the rotor arm pointed towards HT lead for No. 1. It's a fiddle to keep the oil pump drive in line with the distributor but not difficult.

Went to check timing with a strobe and it fired up, scaring me half to death (there's no exhaust).

Next on wish list are fuel tank, battery, radiator, exhaust and silencer, rev counter, oil pressure gauge, etc., etc...

Thanks to all who replied to my questions earlier this year, forums are great!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
welcome, are you going to set it up on a bench Dyno of some simple form? just easier to "fiddle with" if you can load it a bit.
Got any pictures of the V50?? I wanted one for a long time. . .then a laverda came up and I got used to pushing heavy motorbikes! :lol:
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Please Tell Us About Yourself”