Please introduce yourself to everyone and say hi :-)

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Bmwe28v8

Post by Bmwe28v8 »

Hello,I'm Kevin and I'm working on owning my first v8. I'm currently still collecting parts but completion by may 2011 is my hope(stop laughing) I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help me with. I'm going to put a 3.9 efi rv8 into my BMW e28 and I was wondering who I had to inform about this change.Insurance obviously but dvla? Anyone else? Do I need an engineers report? I've looked online and everyone tells me a different answer. Also I have a gearbox dilemma.lf I use an lt77 with an electronic speedo output will I be able to make my standard BMW speedo work? I'm assuming it will need re calibrating but is it possible? Hope you guys can help me as I got verbally lynched on the BMW forums.they didn't like my rv8 idea.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

A company called Reyland in Birmingham used to run several RV8 powered 3 series,
The MOT bit has taken off again, its all down to the points system of changing parts, if you dont change the back axle you will be OK, Cut the shell to get an engine into the car and you can open another can of worms as it is now deemed you have altered the monocoque, too many points, or cutting the shell CAN lead to the car being put thru the dreaded test, but it can result in costing you a LOT of money, and a distinct possibility the car will never pass the test, as the test is designed for new modern cars, not a 20 yo BMW
I dont want to be a killjoy but have a look on Rods N Sods,
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/ and specifically posts by Kapri, Kev is very well versed in all the pitfalls of building modified cars
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

The engineers report may be required by the insurance company, it's up to them.
For my Landie, I didn't need one, I just had to fill in a straightforward questionnaire.
But for my van, I did need one, so I got my local garage to write a letter saying it was a properly done conversion. Also pretty straightforward.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Bmwe28v8

Bmwe28v8

Post by Bmwe28v8 »

Thanks for replying,I'm hoping I won't have to cut the car at all. The engine bay is quite big I've seen a BMW v12 in one with room to spare and I'm hoping the tunnel will be ok(maybe a massage with a hammer)I'll be keeping what's already there or swapping for other BMW parts wherever possible too so it shouldn't look out of place.thanks.

Return to “Please Tell Us About Yourself”