Rover 800 RV8 - has anyone done it?

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

goodsy1968

Rover 800 RV8 - has anyone done it?

Post by goodsy1968 »

As the title says, does anyone know of any conversions? would be interested in doing one myself if not too much grief. :?:

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Never heard one one.

Biggest problem being the 800 is front wheel drive, and there was never a factory front wheel drive RV8 setup.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

goodsy1968

Post by goodsy1968 »

I wouldnt want wrong wheel drive! I haven't had one for a few years, so not sure about room for gearboxes & props etc...

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

I would be 99% certain you would run into VOSA on the points system, as you would be changing the engine, gearbox, and axle, and the monocoque would have to be cut to install the drivetrain, worth looking into before you start to undertake such a project,
If I remember correctly, there was a RWD rover 800 that was drag raced, and possibly was dressed up as a police car as well.
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

v8trev
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8trev »

ian.stewart wrote: If I remember correctly, there was a RWD rover 800 that was drag raced, and possibly was dressed up as a police car as well.
That'll be this one then:

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

ChrisJC wrote:Never heard one one.

Biggest problem being the 800 is front wheel drive, and there was never a factory front wheel drive RV8 setup.

Chris.
Actually there was one built. Around 1970 by Leyland Australia as part of the lead up to the development of the 4.4 litre Leyland P76 launched in 1973. Only one prototype was built that never went into production. The prototype family-sized vehicle was a front wheel drive Austin 1800 V8 automatic with Hydrolastic suspension.

A Rover 3.5 V8 was dropped into the Austin 1800 by the factory positioned north west, not transversely, and to make it fit they had to extend the front bodywork (wings and bonnet) by 116 mm. A chain drive was used to a ZF Porsche transaxle gearbox that drove the front wheels. Handling and steering were reportedly ok but the Austin 1800 V8 suffered from severe torque steer under acceleration. Which is probably why we did not ever see a front wheel drive Leyland P76.

Wheels magazine had a story and photos of the V8 1800. I think it was only ever intended as an evaluation project, though there was some speculation at the time that Leyland might put it into production.

However, producing such a vehicle with a high local content was not economically feasible.

The power unit design proved feasible, but the development and manufacturing costs of the transmission and associated components when compared to the alternative “common industry” rear-wheel-drive systems then available, dictated that this scheme be discontinued.

It was later claimed that the factory 1800 V8 had been a money pit, and tha is actually why they canned the project,,, it was rumored to have had $48 thousand dollars spent on it ... back then it was a big chunk of money in anyone’s language.

One of the things they wanted to find out was whether a front wheel drive V8 was a realistic proposition. Up to that time, their experience with front wheel drive was confined to the Mini, 1100, Morris 1500 and the 1800, and these cars although they were built in Australia had of course been developed in the UK - all the cars that BMC/Leyland had developed in Australia had been rear wheel drive. One unknown was how a front wheel drive car would behave if it had an engine that developed about 150 bhp rather than something such as the A series and B series engines.

On another note, Leyland Aust also made a local rear drive six cylinder Marina which had diabolical handling but went like crazy in a straight line, and they also commisoned a V8 Marina using the 3.5 that was built by Special Tuning in the UK. It had all hand made alloy front panels and doors and much better front suspension and brakes, Newbreed Leyland in Canberra imported it and a very special Mini Clubman in both built by ST for rallycross which was popular here around that time (early 1970s). I believe another one of these V8 Marinas also went to South Africa.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

And of course people have made their own conversions by dropping a RV8 onto a princess gearbox:
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

I remember the V8 marinas, Im fairly certain there was a ST kit available to fit the V8 into the marina, these were prototyped by either CustomCar or Car and Car Conversions, they both built them, CC a marina Van, and CCC a coupe, there were also Factory backed V8 Marinas in RallyX , which possibly ended up rallying as well,
THE SMOKING GNU

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Post by marcjagman »

Isn't that what they did with the 75? Virtually same as an 800 but 5.7 V8 RWD as standard from the factory then they badged it is an MG. Top Gear tested them.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

The 800 was Honda based. The 75, BMW. The BMW E39 was designed for AWD - although no AWD vesion was sold in the UK. I dunno about the Accord.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

4WD E39s were sold in this country, my mates got one,
THE SMOKING GNU

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

interesting story about the 1800 V8. My brother had a couple of the Austin 3 litres, which used the 1800 shell as a basis, but RWD. Let down by that boat anchor of an engine, which meant the performance was little better than the 1800S. With an RV8, things could have been very different.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

ian.stewart wrote:4WD E39s were sold in this country, my mates got one,
Right - my mistake. Pretty rare vehicle, I'd guess. Sure it isn't an E34?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

That should have been in the past tense, he had a E39X, I have seen a few E34X about, but only one E39X, I have a E39 as a daily so Im sure I know it was a E39, it was a long time ago, and now the more I think about it, it may have been an Alpina or Hartage, no body kit, so its feasible it was a special order
THE SMOKING GNU

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

marcjagman wrote:Isn't that what they did with the 75? Virtually same as an 800 but 5.7 V8 RWD as standard from the factory then they badged it is an MG. Top Gear tested them.
The V8 Rover 75 had the bodyshell modified by Prodrive. I believe they cut a chunk out of the bulkhead and rewelded in a different part to make room for the 4.6litre Mustang engine.......

I also don't think the 75 had much in common with the 800, but I could be wrong on that.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”