volvo 940 saloon + 3.5 RV8

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

karlos01

volvo 940 saloon + 3.5 RV8

Post by karlos01 »

after obliterating the thrust bearing and putting a ridge bigger than Barb Streissands nose in the bores of the 200FT i decided to crack on with the RV8 project.

at the moment, i have a little background photos for everyone:

as i bought it:

mismatched trims with a band of gold humbrol round the edges (ignore alloys), gold pinstripes on the sides, gold humbrol'd grille, gold hammerite everywhere underneath, pretty standard wentworth.

then came some alloys i was mis-sold for my MR2. told they would fit, didnt, couldnt throw them out, sold MR2, randomly bought volvo, tried wheels, fit, wrong offset(FWD), keeping them, look nice

then came the alloys and clear lights which made it look a million bucks

then a spot of spring removal for a laugh

the guys at my old workplace had a sense of humor and so did the police that drove past on my way home

then as its prettiest:

so I had a crazy idea after I moved and got a garage. stick a v8 in it why not. cant be too hard I thought.

bought a v8

stripped most of it and wanted a little quirk. to a lot of people ive painted the block typically red. to volvo nuts ive created a B350FV lol

after stripping a lot of crap off it, it was ready to paint.

ally primer is funny stuff

on went the red

dummy build for a laugh

the previous pictures don't show the bonnet being iffy with the laquer. I decided to matt black it badly, cut a crap hole in it then mesh it with some crap mesh.

then the engine and box came out......

got a dummy fit of the engine in, looked great. working with the bonnet up wasawesome. forgot that I needed to shut it.

I found that it would close (luckily) but there wasnt enough room. I got thinking. capri bonnet + volvo bonnet = sexy power bulge and nuff room

its in

thoughts

a hole

hole filled up

ive had to stall mine for a bit since i had my tonsils out wednesday.

i have stripped the wiring loms down so all that sits in the car now are its on board bits; lights, wipers that sort of thing. no ecus remain aside from the abs one.

sorry if im rambling, the drugs havent worn off yet i dont think

some good news, my edis 8 turned up.

i ought to state that the reason there is really nothing to report with the fitting of the engine is because it was quite uneventful. ive literally not had to cut anything away on either the trans tunnel, bulkhead or even the cross member.

i have trimmed the sump pan down however because it was off a range rover and was FAR too long. so its got to be a few inches shorter. if capacity becomes an issue i shall wing it out a bit.

oh this is a great project. i need a discovery prop too for the cv joint and i can start bolting bits back together

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

The SD1 sump is a different shape (bit smaller I think, certainly less deep).

Somebody else on here did a Volvo + RV8, but I can't think who. Was a year or two back.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

karlos01

Post by karlos01 »

crazyc is doing one but gave up in favour of another of his projects

i might have to shave an sd1 sump a bit too which is why i thought i might as well hack down a range rover one :D

im struggling in 4 places

prop - i need a discovery prop & UJ to weld to the volvo one

water pump / timing cover - christ knows what type i have but no stainless kit seems to cover it

alternator & pas pump - god knows where they are supposed to go!

efi / plenum parts / throttle linkage - took it to bits and have no idea how it goes back together

i may have to buying a lot of haynes manuals to get where this lot goes or someone who has a range rover that i can have a look at could look at

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Or get a parts CD off eBay, they have exploded diagrams.

Also, I haven't forgotten about the timing cover bolts. I made a list, but there seemed to be about 20 different bolts, so I need to recheck....

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

karlos01

Post by karlos01 »

right well after stripping all the ezk and efi looms from all of the main looms to separate them from the lights ect. I seem to have something sorted. all lights work!!! hoorah

pics this weekend of a before and after shot. I am really rather pleased.

stay tuned for installation of more wires, making of a megajolt set up, welding and cleaning up of engine brackets, modifying a cheapo steering damper for a bike to use as an engine damper, sump finishing, bonnet finishing, engine finishing and a test fire

in no particular order

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”