bmw v8 swap

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

dabber

bmw v8 swap

Post by dabber »

any info on swapping 4lt v8 from 540 e34 into 316 compact e36.thinking bout doing this for winter project.engine mounts crossmember clearances etc thanks. :)

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

I remember it being done by one of the german tuning houses a few years ago, because I saw the result at a car show. but I suspect it was a pretty big job as the resulting engine bay looked very full :shock: . Might be worth a google but I have no further information.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

dabber

Post by dabber »

thanks.i know alpina did this,parts still available but approx 1600 quid for engine mounts and modified sump.want to try and do this on a budget.got the compact will start looking for a donor 540,and take it from there. :)

Will Reeve
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Will Reeve »

I would look for an non-vanos 4.4 from an early E39 or E38, no bore problems with these and more power :-)

Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Hugeeeeee swap. I looked into in detail before going TVR v8 with my E36.

The basics are.

New sump, new oil pickup, new exhaust manifolds, transmission tunnel modification, relocate brake servo.

Something other stuff but a pain in the arse....

This was much easier

Will Reeve
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Will Reeve »

That's an interesting exhaust....where does it exit?

Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Its from the TVR and it runs down the nearside of the sump/block which is great because the offside of the block is really very tight for access with the steering column....

dabber

Post by dabber »

thats pretty cool where did you source the engine from what else did you need to fit it. :D

Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Bought it from a friend of a friend who does finance repossesion who broke the car for spares. needed to modify the sump, make my own engine and gearbox mounts, new prop, radiator needs moving into the boot because of the exhaust manifold, fitted a gearbox remote from an SD1 instead of the TVR one....

The normal really for a rwd engine conversion.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: bmw v8 swap

Post by DaveEFI »

dabber wrote:any info on swapping 4lt v8 from 540 e34 into 316 compact e36.thinking bout doing this for winter project.engine mounts crossmember clearances etc thanks. :)
Think there's a major problem with sump clearance with R&P steering/cross members. The E39 6 has R&P steering - the V-8 a steering box. IIRC, due to the oil pump position in the V-8.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Will Reeve
Getting There
Getting There

Re: bmw v8 swap

Post by Will Reeve »

DaveEFI wrote:
dabber wrote:any info on swapping 4lt v8 from 540 e34 into 316 compact e36.thinking bout doing this for winter project.engine mounts crossmember clearances etc thanks. :)
Think there's a major problem with sump clearance with R&P steering/cross members. The E39 6 has R&P steering - the V-8 a steering box. IIRC, due to the oil pump position in the V-8.
Thats correct, even the M5 has the 'box! I think Alpina (or was it Hartge) managed to squeeze a V8 into a E36 didn't they?

Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Alpina did one.... but the parts will cost you three times as much if not more than a clean E36....

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”