Engine mounts

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

redsunbeam

Engine mounts

Post by redsunbeam »

Do engine mounts have to be the same on both sides?
I have to dogleg one side to clear the steering column. Do i need to mirror this on the other side?

Rover P5B

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Nope, symmetrical is ideal but in reality so long as the engine is supported in all directions (the gearbox mounts are what really helps on the longitudal support) it doesn't really matter where the mounts are (within reason!) Basically just make sure the stresses are spread out as evenly as possible and adequate to hold it still when being driven hard. It is hard gearchanges and on-off-on WOT that will rip the mounts not just the power if inadequate.
TC

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

On my MGB I have to pack the drivers side mount out for exactly the same reason. And also because my RV8 style exhaust headers hit the passenger side chassis leg if I dont move it over. As Tom says. Central is ideal. But as long as its sucure with a good tail mount on the gearbox you will be fine as the prop will take up a bit of offset !!

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Land Rover mounts aren't symmetrical because the engine isn't central within the chassis!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

ChrisJC wrote:Land Rover mounts aren't symmetrical because the engine isn't central within the chassis!

Chris.
Naah Chris

It's just that one side was made with Metric Drawings and the other imperial. And up in Brummieland they got the exchange rate incorrect! :lol: :lol:

IAn
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”