RV8 into a mercedes 190e

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

merc190e

RV8 into a mercedes 190e

Post by merc190e »

hello people....

i know it has been done before, so i am looking for some help and advice to help me get started on my project.

i have a 91 mercedes 190e 2.6 auto that i will be putting a RV8 and manual box into.

the questions i have at the moment (as i am aqireing the V8 parts that i need i.e. all of them. lol) is the following.

1. will the transmition tunnel have to be modified to take a gearbox for the v8?

2. what is the best box to use for the engine?

and.....

3. i will be running carbs on my engine, so what parts of the original loom (if any) will i have to keep to get the engine running in the car.....

if anyone has any advice for me i would be forever greatfull....

hope to hear from you all soon.

mark. :D :D

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

1/ depends on box, autos are generally smaller than manuals, it's down to what you are using.
2/ manual boxes, R380 for a 2wd application would be first choice, LT77 2nd, T5 with TVR bell housing is nice but exensive and difficult to get. Autos on idea.
3/ Not sure how you will get a 91 plate engine through the MOT on carbs.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I would imagine that the 190e automatic used the ZF4HP22 transmission, as found in the Range Rover. If so, you could just get a Range Rover bellhousing / torque converter etc, and the engine would bolt up. Then it's just a matter of fixing in the engine (assuming its extra width clears everything).

As for running on carbs, that's easy. You just need +12V to the ignition circuit, and a low pressure fuel supply (an injection fuel pump is far too much for carbs).

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

merc190e

Post by merc190e »

thanks for your input guys....
the engine will fit in the bay with no probs, just have to figure out the mounts...
thanks for the info on the merc autobox...... if it is what was suggested, then i think it would be simpler to keep the auto and jusy bolt it to the engine as stated above...
is it reallt that easy to get teh v8 running with just a 12v power supply and a low pressure fuel pump?????

if i dont have to modify the trans tunnel then i think this is going to be a little easyer than i first thought.

thanks guys

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

merc190e wrote: i think this is going to be a little easyer than i first thought.
DONT SAY THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you just know it will be a nightmare :lol:

And 12v and fuel- thats the beauty of carbs :D
TC

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

It's easy to get the RV8 running. The hard bit is getting it to run well, and stay cool etc.

One poss issue with the autobox is that the shift point in the Merc box may be set at >6000RPM on kickdown which is a bit high for the RV8. You may have to swap the valve block and governor for a Range Rover version. Just a question of spannering though, not especially tricky. See some pics on the ZF here, note you wouldn't need to do all this! (but you can see the valve block removal and governor.

http://www.cowdery.org.uk/zf.php

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

"would imagine that the 190e automatic used the ZF4HP22 transmission"

Don't think that's correct - Mercedes manufacture their own auto's. BMW, JAG and some others use ZF.

I my opinion autos are useually much BIGGER than manuals (but maybe slightly shorter), so if it's an auto already then an LT77 manual, which is a very small box, should fit OK.

Russ
Rover Powered to 11.63sec @ 128mph.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”