Porsche 944 to Rover V8 conversion

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Chris_944

Porsche 944 to Rover V8 conversion

Post by Chris_944 »

Hi all

I am looking into putting a v8 into my 2.5 lux as the engine is on the way out and to be honest I can't be bothered to throw anymore money at the 4 pot. I wanted to put a chevy in but this looks like it will be too expensive so I am looking at the rover lumps.

How tunable are the 3.5's though?? There is this one on ebay but I read that they only kick out around 150 bhp??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0283102209

It already has a high torque cam so I would have thought that would help but would I also be able to bolt this onto it?? I would need the ECU and wiring harness of course but is it possible??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

Ideally I would like to get at least 200bhp to start, will think about upgrading to a bigger v8 further down the line

Cheers Chris

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Hi and welcome

First the Rover engine isnt cheap in any form or fashion. Yes you can get one for a few quid out the scrapies but 3.5 engines are all ancient now so most could use a rebuild. The one you have linked to says it has been rebuilt but reading between the lines all its had is shells. no mention of regrinds or rings. I would be asking more questions as it might have just been tarted up to get him by for his proper engine. Next up is tuning which rapidly turns into a big expense but on a 3.5 200bhp is reachable without too much trouble/expence. Personally I wouldn't bother with that fuel injection system tho it will fit. Its ancient, was never the best in the first place and generally can give quite a lot of trouble. It wont ad anything to power either even if it does work properly. Much better to stick with carb for that power or if you really want injection look out for a hotwire system.
Better still go for a SBC or SBF, still cheap to buy much cheaper/easier to tune (300bhp easy for little money) and there are already kits available to fit these engines into the 944.

Chris_944

Post by Chris_944 »

Thanks for that, this would be a stop gap really until I could fit a bigger V8 but it would get me started. Baby on the way so the missus has cut the funds somewhat lol...
Did want to go with the SBC but the only kit I can find is from renegade and this is loooking at about 2K to buy and import.. juicey!! Is anyone aware of any other suppliers for the kits to fit a SBC or SBF into the 944?

Also, 1 last question, the bell housing and fly wheel along the Rover line of V8's? Did it stay the same or were there changes as it went on??

Thanks again

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

The 5spd 2wd stuff stayed the same along with the LT77 or R380 boxes which are interchangeable.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

I would think the conversion should not be too expensive, Using a bit of educated guesswork,, 3.9 Rover, they will never set the world alight with their stock performance, and most will be from Low Comp RangeRovers,
dont 944s have a 5 speed transaxle and torque tube, I do have some Ideas on how to convert this, but I dont know where the clutch is situated, gearbox or engine,
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

if i remember correctly member Larry Lamb has done the rv8/944 conversion.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

try to find at least a 3.9 engine - they can be had pretty cheap now.
SBC seems too heavy for the 944.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Chris_944

Post by Chris_944 »

Cheers for the replies... I am on the lookout for a rover V8 now, there was a bloke on ebay selling the conversion kit that I'm trying to get hold of and it sounds like that should fit all the engines.

Clutch is the engine endso that could be interesting, all fun and games though eh!

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

Who's the guy on eBay offering 944 / RV8 conversion kits?
My other half is looking at putting a Rover into her 944 at some point in the future.
Image -JC.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”