4.0 V8 in Landy 110"

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

REO

4.0 V8 in Landy 110"

Post by REO »

Hi V8 owners.

I have a 3.5 V8 defender 110" that I would like to convert to a 4.0 with disc breaks. similar to the 50th anniversary model.

The catch is that I live in Denmark and the authorities here are very strict with that kind of conversions. My question is therefore: does anyone here have some kine of type approval on a defender 50th anniversary model?

My hope is that I can use it to convince the Danish MOT that my conversion is safe and sound. :)

Thanks for your help.
Regards Rasmus

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Could you say it was similar to a 4.0 litre Discovery II ? or a 3.9 litre Range Rover?
(note that both 3.9 and 4.0 litre engines are 3947cc's)

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Welcome Rasmus.
Type approval over here relates (I think) to the producer, not the owner. Depending when the 50th anniversary was made LR might have type approval.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/vehicletype/index.asp

There is a component type approval, looks like it applies to some groups on a car, and aftermarket parts; again depending on age etc, LR might just have euro approval for the 50th Defender brake group -
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/vehicletype/s ... nt-app.asp

No idea if LR would be able to help, might be worth an ask.

Disclaimer - the above is based on looking into IVA (single vehicle approval) and a quick search - could all be wrong! check it out.

Have you got a system of inspection, or engineer's reports maybe? Our insurance companies sometimes require these, at least in the bike world.

REO

4.0 Land Rover 110" defender

Post by REO »

Hi Alley Kat
Thanks for the links. I have sendt them a mail and saked if they have a type approval.
I have to put the car trough MOT as well, but first I need permission to rebuild the car to a different type. Thats why I need a type approval, to state that what I want to build is already made. the thing is that the 110" defender have never been sold in Denmark with a 4.0 V8 (nor the 3.9 for that mater) hence, there is no type approval.
I think a have the number for the EU type approval, but since that is Land Rovers property I can't download it anywhere.

I have also asked Land Rover in Denmark. But since im changing my car to a different type, they wont help me. :(

@ChrisJC
even though it the same mechanics I can't use the approvals for these cars since it's not the same model.

/Rasmus

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Good luck Rasmus, hope LR UK help you out..
Another quick thought, wondered if there is an online database, found this but looks like a paid service of some kind-
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/legislation/v ... egstat.asp

cheers
Bill

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”