Omega Rv8

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

goodsy1968

Omega Rv8

Post by goodsy1968 »

As mentioned before, I have now removed the v6 from my Omega facelift & trying to fit the v8 in. The problem I'm having is the steering box is the only thing stopping me from having a snug fit. Has anyone on here ever done one of these before? Any advice is muchly appreciated! :wink:

As you can see, its a tight fit!!

Plenty of room on the passenger side, & gearbox & front cover are ok also. One other job is to modify the sump to hang over the subframe.
Wish me luck!!

JJMclure
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JJMclure »

Someone did fit a sbf to a carlton but he changed to rack and pinion due to the steering box I think the website has been down for a long time tho...

hee you go - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/706031/19 ... ll-carlton

omega is very similar to a carlton underneath
don't nibble on the barrel, pull the trigger!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Holden managed to shove in an SBC, holden V8 and an LS engine in that shell with some success I suspect if you could get a full spec it would tell you all you need to know on how to fit one. If you can convert to rack and pinion it is probably worth doing just for the "feel" from the steering

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_VT_Commodore

It says they "simplified" the rear suspension but I suspect that was because it saved money.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

goodsy1968

Post by goodsy1968 »

Rack & pinion sounds like a good plan, - cheers for that! Something like a Granada rack would probably do the job, I will look into that. As for the Commodore, I have heard that they had wider chassis rails so that they could fit the v8 in, but Vauxhall did do a v8 Omega version for Europe, but couldn't keep it cool enough, which was a shame!

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hello,

All the Holden and UK Holden based cars use rack and pinion, they are also about 3" wider bodied, I have a Monaro coming next week for some suspension bushes.....

Steve.

goodsy1968

Post by goodsy1968 »

Thanks Steve! I will have a search on Holden stuff too. Does anyone know if the old carlton or senator used racks or not?

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

goodsy1968 wrote:Thanks Steve! I will have a search on Holden stuff too. Does anyone know if the old carlton or senator used racks or not?
Think they were all steering box. BMW of that era too. Perhaps it's what the Germans preferred in that size of car.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

goodsy1968

Post by goodsy1968 »

Omega's are a pain in the backside steering wise, & go through a lot of wishbones too if not set up correctly. I am of to the garage now & see what can be done.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

A lot of grief, but well worth the effort once completed. Conversions generally aren't simply bolt-in, else everyone would be doing them. :D
2000 Audi B5 420-R, Pelican Blue:Work In Progress.
2000 Audi B5 420-R DTM, Santorin Blue: Work In Progress.

goodsy1968

Post by goodsy1968 »

Well its definitley not as easy as i would have liked, but its getting there! After having a look, having a rack wont save me much room anyway, so the steering box stays. The next problems are the sump, which will have to be a hybrid of 3.9 rangie & p38, as the subframe is in the way, also exhaust manifolds are tight against the steering box, so will have to sweep them forward & underneath the subframe.

JJMclure
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JJMclure »

If you put your mind to it, nothing can stand in your way

don't nibble on the barrel, pull the trigger!

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Nothing helpful to suggest, looked into this when I put a sbc in a monze, that steering box is a pain, put a rack on it, had to build a subframe under the crossmember, ended up a nightmare job. Never did get finished, had it driveable but then had to move house to a place with no offroad storage, ho hum, broke it for parts and waved goodbye.

Alan

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

bigaldart wrote:Nothing helpful to suggest, looked into this when I put a sbc in a monze, that steering box is a pain, put a rack on it, had to build a subframe under the crossmember, ended up a nightmare job. Never did get finished, had it driveable but then had to move house to a place with no offroad storage, ho hum, broke it for parts and waved goodbye.

Alan
Wow. That's a heart-breaker. You'd gotten so far too. :(
2000 Audi B5 420-R, Pelican Blue:Work In Progress.
2000 Audi B5 420-R DTM, Santorin Blue: Work In Progress.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”