Audi B5 420-R: The Build

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update 4th September 2012:

My clutch friction disc and throw-out bearing arrived today. Just looking at different pressure plates, then will order one.

I pulled that ugly arse oil filter and cooler combo. Gosh! That thing's heavy! I didn't weigh it, but I won't be sorry to see it go.

The idea is to run a remote oil filter housing, utilizing a regular spin-off metal canister type of filter. I've opted for a B5 S4 filter. I'm not a fan of the water-cooled oil coolers, I've replaced several that have ruptured internally, filling the oil pan with coolant. An air-to-air one will be sourced, with a thermostatic oil filter head.

Surprisingly, the gremlin of the D2 - the plastic pipe that hardens, becomes brittle and breaks was still intact, and the O-rings were in great shape. The oil cooler cassette itself was still good.

2000 Audi B5 420-R, Pelican Blue:Work In Progress.
2000 Audi B5 420-R DTM, Santorin Blue: Work In Progress.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update 22nd September 2012:

I began the interior strip-down of my Audi A4 quattro. I started with the leather interior which has been sold, (the buyer came down to pick it up) and as the weather was good, decided to carry on. So the pile of unwanted parts grew larger, and the car got lighter.

What I tore out:

*Leather interior.
*Door cards.
*Centre consoles.
*Audio system - head unit, Sony 10-disc changer, speakers, remote toggle and all leads.
*Carpet.
*Roof lining.
*Sun visors.
*Roof grab handles.
*All interior trim around the roof, including A, B and D pillar trim.
*Glove compartment.
*Under steering column compartment.
*Rear seat belts.
*Luggage compartment carpet, including sides and lid trim.

Still a lot to do, but we're getting there. Pictures speak volumes:

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

As this is going to be a race car, I have definitely decided to have the radiator and fans in the trunk. The next step is to cut out the spare wheel well. I will then begin construction of the under-car air duct, to draw air through the radiator, and the exit duct, which will be built into the rear bumper, which will have a custom diffuser.

Pictures to follow.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update 26th September 2012:

Today, I picked up the oil cooler / filter relocating adapter flange. It's quite well-made, and being aluminium like the S8 engine it's being bolted to, won't react. Aluminium and steel mated together tend to corrode between the contact faces.

The couplings will allow me to locate the oil cooler and filter remotely. I'll have the oil lines made out of stainless steel braid, with a PTFE inner core. I'm left with a hole in the block though, where the original water-cooled oil cooler pipe went in. This will be plugged with an aluminium core plug.

Pictures below:

Flange, couplings and O-rings:

S8 engine, with the combined oil cooler and filter removed:

S8 engine, with adapter flange and couplings bolted in place:

Hole in block, that will need to be plugged up with a core plug:

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update 02nd October 2012:

Today, between other jobs, I pulled my Audi A4 Quattro out, and attacked the spare wheel well aggressively, with an angle grinder, and electric jigsaw. Man, that spare wheel well is tough! At some points, it's actually double-skinned, and the jigsaw was struggling. However, my pal Mr Angle Grinder took no prisoners, hehehe. ;)

Towards the rear, I ran into a bit of a snag - the gas tank. Now the gas tank on an Audi A4 quattro B5 pretty much follows the contours of the floor pan at the rear. It also follows the curve of the spare wheel well, in a distinctive arc. I realised my jigsaw was getting unpleasantly close to the plastic tank. Making a hole in the tank was the least of my worries, I was more concerned with the sparks from the jigsaw and cutting disc. If the fuel vapours escaped due to a perforation, and a careless spark ignited it, there would be an explosion.

The options then were to lower the gas tank. This however would mean dropping the rear differential. Bummer! >:( The second option was to cut the rear section of the spare wheel well by hand, using nothing more than a good old-fashioned cold chisel and a club hammer. 8)

I chose the second option. I never realised just how heavy the spare wheel well was. It weighed 9,75 kilos. Besides wanting to install the radiator in the rear of the car, whe weight-saving gained was worth the loss of this hunk of steel.

Pictures!

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

I just need to cut out the data sticker from the redundant well. I'm going to have a new one made, in the same dimensions, font and style. Three details however will be changed:

*Engine code.
*Trans code.
*Paint code.

It will be quite bare though, as pretty much all the options this car left the factory with, will be missing. ;)

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update 05th October 2012:

At last, the clutch pressure plate for the D2 S8 32V (AHC) has been ordered. I was looking at uprated options, but I only seem to see uprated items for the 40V (AVP). And in traditional reseller fashion, none seem to be sure what the differences are.

My local dealer has been ace, they managed to waive the surcharge, as it's exchange. The surcharge is only £20, but every little saving helps, especially when you're spending a lot, buying B5 RS4 parts from the same source. :cool:

I should have the clutch pressure plate with me sometime next week. Once that's here, the engine can be mated to the transmission, and the lot bolted into the car.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

You're definitely keen !! That's a hell of a lot of work
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

^^^ Aye, it's quite labour-intensive. But needs must. :D

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

It's starting to take some shape now, can't wait to see the end product... Keep up the good work...

Steve.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

^^^ Thanks, Steve. It's been a while, how's the Beemer doing?

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

The bemmer is ok, got a gearbox issue at the mo, hope to get that sorted fairly soon... Going to stick some 50mm M5 throttle bodies on it over the winter... Should be a bit louder.. :twisted: :twisted:

Your's is going to be an awesome thing when it's finished, is going on the road or track or both..?? Do you still live near me.? Haven't seen the S8 about lately...

Steve..

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

^^^ It's going to be both road and track.

I've moved, so no longer local to Woodbridge, hence you ain't see the S8 of late.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Before you bin the rear seat belts check that you don't have to register it as a 2 seater to avoid MOT hassels. It always used to be that if you just took the rear seats out it still counted as a 4 seater for MOT purposes and you needed the rear belts for the MOT (unless you also registared it as a 2 seater).
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

^^^ Thanks bud.

I've checked with my local MOT station, as well as with VOSA in Chelmsford. The rear seat belts are not checked, if the rear bench is removed.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”